Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THe fuel filter cap under the hood broke tonight while I was changing the filters. How do I get it off now, the hex broke off the cap.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
rubber strap wrench, or oil filter wrench. Next resort is to drill a hole in the side of the cap so you can stick a screw driver in it to turn it loose.

·
Registered
750 Posts
:agree: what he said..

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
If your cap is the style I think it is, I have crossed two screwdrivers and placed them on top of the filter to turn it.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I believe that was the 99-03 filter cap I could do that on. Have changed the filter in a OBS, SD, and the 6.0 and sometimes forget ;).

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I use a 3/8 drive 6 inch extension and a rubber mallet. Spins mine off all the time that way. Once it is loose enough I finish it by hand. Then to put it back on. I just spin it on by hand as tight as I can get it. Then I finish it up the way I take it off.

By the way you can get filters with new caps incase you did not know that. Autozone has them.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
If your cap is the style I think it is, I have crossed two screwdrivers and placed them on top of the filter to turn it.

Edit: Now that I think of it, I believe that was the 99-03 filter cap I could do that on. Have changed the filter in a OBS, SD, and the 6.0 and sometimes forget ;).
Thats an OBS cap

I just changed my buddies 05 FX4 filters this weekend, and that cap does look fragile (italian?) Especially if they are $67.66?!!!!! its not gold!!!

I would also call dealer, my OBS cap was $15.00

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Yeah, I realized that a few minutes after I posted, sorry been at work for the last 11 1/2 hours. Anyway, seems like I noticed a website selling billet caps for the 6.0 and 6.4. They looked pretty nice.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts