Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my truck at around 48,000 miles and read about threads to the fuel filters on how important is it to replace every 15,000 miles. So I had them replaced and was just wondering , should the filters come out this dirty ? It seems like my truck runs better as well. I was getting 10.6 and now on average 12.1 would this really help the fuel economy on the truck ? Sorry for ignorant questions but I am new to the diesel world.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
525 Posts
I change mine every 10k miles. And they are never that dirty.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
833 Posts
I agree I change at 10k sometimes 7500. And yes it should run better.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You might want to try a couple of short mileage changes due to the fact that you may have some nasty stuff in your tank. It is cheap maintenance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to try a couple of short mileage changes due to the fact that you may have some nasty stuff in your tank. It is cheap maintenance.
Yes,
I agree from what it looked like I think I will. Now that I saw how it was done , I pretty sure I can do it myself. The mech. did prime the pump for about a 5 min. before he started it . Probably a step I would of skipped if I didnt see it first glad I did .

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Yes,
I agree from what it looked like I think I will. Now that I saw how it was done , I pretty sure I can do it myself. The mech. did prime the pump for about a 5 min. before he started it . Probably a step I would of skipped if I didnt see it first glad I did .
Correct. You just cycle the key on for a couple seconds then off. Repeat this about 7 times I believe. I think it says something about it in the manual.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
wow thats dirty. maybe those are original filters. drain once a month. change every 10k miles.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Not an ignorant question at all but I change mine at 10,000 km (6200 miles)can never be too safe....yes I know thats probably over kill

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not an ignorant question at all but I change mine at 10,000 km (6200 miles)can never be too safe....yes I know thats probably over kill
Every 6200 you must be replacing these yourself. I get to impatient even waiting for my tires to be rotated. I think I will start shopping for a case of these filters any suggestions on where to buy?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Ya I change mine every 10k or so and they aren't usually that dirty.

If you want to buy a case check eBay.
I believe the motorcraft ones are made by racor. I would stick with one of those brands. If you find a place that sells them In bulk for cheap, let us know.
Sent with my mind using ESP.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This is after 10K miles on mine... not nearly as dirty as yours, any idea how long they were in there? originals maybe?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is after 10K miles on mine... not nearly as dirty as yours, any idea how long they were in there? originals maybe?

They have to be orginals , there is no way they got that dirty in 10k
Thats just a guess, I bought the truck from a private party. I might have his info. maybe I can give him a call to ask.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I think the original fuel filters have something stamped on them. I could be wrong but I've read this before. I usually get the dealer to change mine they always look very clean but I work in the oil field and can't always get fuel from the best stations so u can never be to carefull

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I think the original fuel filters have something stamped on them. I could be wrong but I've read this before.
This is true. The original filters have 'FF' stamped on them.

·
Registered
244 Posts
OP, I follow closer to the Ford recommended interval of 20k. I've changed mine twice in 36k miles (at 18k mile interval). The first FF set were almost as dirty as yours, the last filter change came out MUCH cleaner for some reason, more like Mr. paint's filters pictured above.

Maybe just the difference of where it was fueled up the first 18k miles? Don't know.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts