Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 F350 SD 6L

Hi all. I think I got air in my fuel system. Advice won't be greatly appreciated on how to correct. This is what I did.

- Replaced the underbody fuel filter. Drained ~1 to 1-1/2 gal fuel.
- cycled key three times.
- started and got rough. Died once. Restarted and idled for ~10 minutes.
- tried to drive and died. Now won't start.

Thank you in advance.
Ken

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
I would check and make sure everything is tightened and no wires/clips were broke or moved on accident. You mentioned changing the underbody fuel filter. Did you also do the one in the engine bay?

You may just have to get a battery charger and do some light cranks for a few seconds at a time to get the air out. I am really surprised you got a whole gallon of fuel out. Did you open/ re close the water drain valve on the underbody fuel filter assembly ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
No, I didn't do the engine bay filter. I was waiting to do it this weekend with a Sea Foam hot treatment to clean injectors.
Everything is tightened up, no leaks. Yes, all of the fuel came out of the water drain valve. Ford instructs to wait until fuel stops draining, which is what I did.
I think I did not wait long enough between key cycles.

I'll try cycling the key on off for a while. But my concern is that I did get air into the high pressure fuel system.

·
Love all, Trust a Few...
4,903 Posts
You do not have a high pressure system. Truck only makes around 60 psi of fuel pressure. Sometimes they’re hard to prime. There are a couple ways to bleed it but both tend to make a mess. Crack the upper cap until fuel squirts out then tighten. Prime 3 times and you should be ok. If not, report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Don’t pour seafoam in your diesel. There are many quality fuel treatments specifically designed for diesel. Diesel Kleen is economical, everywhere, and has the extra water emulsifier too. Use seafoam on beater cars and lawn equipment not a 6.0l powerstroke.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
In the future after changing your filters, Cycle your key on and wait for your fuel pump to kick off (~20 seconds), and then cycle key off. Repeat 6x.

Even on the 3rd or 4th cycle, sometimes I can still hear the air trying to bleed from the system.

-jokester

Reactions: Beck_Aly

·
Administrator
32,722 Posts
Agreed

I have the luxury of having a fuel psi gauge so i know when i build pressure back up after a filter swap

and 3 times is not going to get it for you especially with the fuel loss you had

key on and listen for pump to stop or count to 20 and cycle again

like mentioned repeat at least 6 times

·
Premium Member
11,849 Posts
If you listen to the pump, you can hear it begin to load up when it gets a good prime. Cycle it a couple more time after that.

·
The Powerstroke Guy
40 Posts
You may need to take cap off of top fuel filter. Have someone watch, and turn ignition off right when you see the fuel. A little will overflow

·
Registered
110 Posts
What fuel filter did you use? In my first 6.0 diesel, I bought the Auto Zone Duralast fuel filters for my truck. Well it started and idled rough, I backed it out of my driveway and it died at the stop sign. It would not restart so I pushed the dually crew cab back to the driveway (left the truck in the street) and put the old filter back in. It started right up and ran great. So I returned those and bought the motorcraft filters and changed them out and everything was fine. Lesson learned about filters for me before I knew about this place. Put your old one back in and see if she starts.
Jerry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input to all. I got the truck started finally. Then I did the engine-mounted filter this weekend, and with your input above had no issues with getting the truck started.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Glad you got it figured out. It sounds like there was just air in the system and it needed time to prime/work its way out. When I change fuel filters on the 6.0l or 7.3l you can hear your fuel pump make strange noises until its primed. I usually turn key on/engine off 3-5 times before the pump sounds normal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Don’t pour seafoam in your diesel. There are many quality fuel treatments specifically designed for diesel. Diesel Kleen is economical, everywhere, and has the extra water emulsifier too. Use seafoam on beater cars and lawn equipment not a 6.0l powerstroke.
Understood. Thank you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts