Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 7.3l 97 psd and i wanna change the fuel filter. So i went and got a fram filter and pulled the old one off and it wont come off the fuel filter cap. What does that mean? Is it a specific filter? Where do i get one?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
its one of the filters that has the cap attached to it, unless you have the oem cap you will either need a new oem cap or a similar filter/lid style filter. fleetfilter.com has the lid style. Its is a WIX brand and is around 20ish bucks. Baldwin also makes this style of filter as well. Napa carries the wix brand as well but i pad 40+ for my last filter I needed from them:doh:

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
Yea,some of the fuel filters come without the cap, and reuses the old one. Some come complete, filter and cap.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
easiest way to tell is, if it has a square hole for a 1/2 drive ratchet, thats the attached cap kind. The OEM style filter and cap have 2 little plastic tabs on the side of the filter that clip into the sides of the cap.

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I changed mine, it was tight getting it off. Try giving it a twist and a pull

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
When I changed mine, it was tight getting it off. Try giving it a twist and a pull
OBS filters are different setup than the 99+ trucks, they either clip in, or the cap comes attached.

Your filter was stuck beacuse of the inner O ring.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has the 1/2 inch drive and its the kind where the filter is attached to the cap. thanks for the help.

2,083 Posts
It has the 1/2 inch drive and its the kind where the filter is attached to the cap. thanks for the help.
That will be a Baldwin filter. They come with new caps.

I always use filters with new caps. Too many times old ones leak.

Go to Baldwinfilters.com and search dealers in your area and pick one up.

Return the Fram that cost you 32.00 and buy the 27.00 Baldwin. It's a much better filter also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts