Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I followed a write up on here and these are the steps I took.

1. parked up hill
2. loosend the top fill filter cap (the write up said it relieves pressure)
3. drained the rail mounted water seperater drain till it stoped
4. switched out the rail mounted filter, tightened the cap back on, and shut the drain valve.
5. changed the top fuel filter and tighten cap back up
6. turned engine to on position for 30 sec at a time. Did a total of 9 times. I could hear air bubbles going through the filters the first 3 times after that it souned smooth.
7. went to start engine and it ran for 3 sec then died.
8. primed it 8 more times with the 30 sec on position procedure. Still nothing.

So what did I do wrong in this procedure?

I went back in the house and researched a bunch of stuff pretaining to this issue. I then went back out and used what I learned from this fourm which is invaluable info. Thank you Powerstroke fourm!

With my new info I released air bubbles from the shreader valve on the fuel cooler. I make a small hose fit over the valve and inserted a nail into the side of the tube and used that nail to push in the valve (like a bicycle tire). Had the tube drain into a bucket while my wife cycle the truck to the on position for 30 sec at a time. I could see bubbles every now and then. Did this till no bubbles for a whole cycle. Tried to start and it fired up again for about 3 sec.

Then moved on to open the banjo bolt on the rear of the fuel cooler just slightly (read about that on the fourm too! All good info) and put a rag around it to soak up fuel leaking out. Had my wife cycle it a few times again and could see fuel flow out and sputer out every now and then. Looked to me like it was removing more air from the line. Did that till dident get any more bubble sputers.

Had my wife cycle it 3 more times with everything sealed up. Than had her try starting it...... and ....... Yes! It fired up finally.

I know long post but I wanted all the info there. So can some one please tell me what I did wrong in the first place to get air in the system? Im not sure if I will try it again on my own if I have to go through this all again.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I never loosen the top cap first. I would think that would allow LOTS of air to enter the lines. I usually start at the bottom and just drain until it stops and then change that filter completely and close it up, then I do the top one. I cycle 6 times and all good everytime.
HOWEVER....once. Just once. I was in a hurry and took it to the local oil change place to get my oil done (brought my own filters) and asked if they would go ahead and change my fuel filters while they were working. They undid the top one first along with the oil filter to drain before they moved under the truck. (basically like you) I like to never got the SOB started. Next time try one at a time as this seems to work great for me.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Same here, I usually do one at a time. I learned my lesson though, the manual says prime 6 times, I said oh it doesnt need that many and did 4 primes rushing the process and did exactly what you said. But luckily I primed it 6 times after that and it started. I about poo'd myself when it died. That's the last time I don't follow the instructions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
When they did mine they primed 6 times for 1min. Each time and they did the bottom filter completely removed and installed then went to the top one removed and installed

·
Registered
273 Posts
Have been in the same place, but now I do the bottom one first, prime, start and run for a minute or two. Then I do the top one and repeat the prime, start, run. Don't seem to have any issues any more. I do remember how fast my heart was racing the first time I changed them both and it started and died! Not the warm fuzzy I was hoping for!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
35 Posts
Have been in the same place, but now I do the bottom one first, prime, start and run for a minute or two. Then I do the top one and repeat the prime, start, run. Don't seem to have any issues any more. I do remember how fast my heart was racing the first time I changed them both and it started and died! Not the warm fuzzy I was hoping for!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I do mine one at a time. Order doesn't seem to make a difference. Replace one, prime, start, then repeat with the other. When only replacing one at a time I can usually start it up after just one or two cycles max.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so sounds like dont touch the top one. Do the bottom first and prime the truck a couple times then start it. Then do the top one prime it a couple of times then start and should be good. Thank You

1 - 7 of 7 Posts