Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did my first fuel filter change tonight, what a mess! Anyone have a suggestion about not making one hell of a mess when changing the filter on the frame rail. I hope there is a better way, otherwise the design engineer at Ford needs to be shot!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you pull the drain plug before removing the cap? The first time I changed filters I didnt know about it and it was a terrible mess.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Had mine changed by the dealer in Dodge City Friday. They had it on a rack and were spraying some kind of cleaner under the truck before they gave it back to me. I guess they had the same problem.:hehe:

Basically I have no where to do it myself unless I'm at home and feel like killing some grass.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I drained it by the yellow lever. There is another drain plug on it?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
THERES REALLY NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, ON MY 05 6.0 IN THE FRAME RAIL, THEY DID NOT PUT A DRAIN PET****, UNSCREW THE FILTER HOUSING AND GET A LOT OF SHOP TOWELS. LOL

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you watch that ford 6.4 video it tells you where that drain lever is. I didnt know it had one until i watched that video.

·
Registered
19 Posts
THERES REALLY NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT, ON MY 05 6.0 IN THE FRAME RAIL, THEY DID NOT PUT A DRAIN PET****, UNSCREW THE FILTER HOUSING AND GET A LOT OF SHOP TOWELS. LOL
My 05 has a silver plug that you remove with an allen wrench. It drains all the diesel out.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
All that drain is for is to let you drain the water out of the fuel system.....your still going to have pressure there.......just big a drain pan to stick underneath

·
Registered
277 Posts
dang man its just a little diesel fuel who cares,i use this stuff called soap when im done it works just fine,unless your a runway model i dont understand.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
yea but i dont think he wants it everywhere, could potentially be a fire hazard

·
Registered
277 Posts
its not that much fuel,maybe a pint or so lol.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I can see a problem. You need a place to do it. If you don't have one it's just not doable without causing an environmental disaster.

For instance if I had wanted to save a bundle of money and change mine here at the campground instead of taking it to the dealer. Well the people here would not be very amused if there was a huge spot of dead grass there. Everyone would be smelling diesel and wondering what's going on. It would not be possible to be sure your not going to have an issue like this. You would need to put down a tarp or something to contain it and try to catch it all in a pan. And then clean it all up. Then you have to deal with proper disposal of the tarp with diesel on it and the old filters.

I guess you could save $60 or so which is less than a half a penny per mile. Doesn't seem worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
a pint or 2 my butt i filled up a coffee can and it was still draining when i cut it off so i just went ahead and poured it all over me!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
a pint or 2 my butt i filled up a coffee can and it was still draining when i cut it off so i just went ahead and poured it all over me!!!
I wonder if it will eventually fully drain and stop... or if it's actually siphoning out of the main fuel tank? You'd have to park on a steep up-hill to prevent that, I guess. :dunno:

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
what was in the filter housing is the only amount of fuel coming out. i thought the same thing before i dove into it. am i going to drain the whole tank down the drive way? but i thought they had to build it better than that...lol

·
Registered
201 Posts
i know on my 7.3 i just took a clear hose and put it over the tube on the passanger side of the truck and just drained it into a bucket. i had no mess at all. Thats also on a 7.3 so it could be a different story on the newer trucks

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
LOL

I figured it's gonna keep coming out until the fuel tank is empty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts