5,713 Posts
Cool Vid. Keep em coming for us DIY guys and Gals.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
:thumb: Thanks I appreciate it. I will definitely check them out. It sure beats having the dealership do it and charging an arm and a leg!
The stealership???:hehe:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Cool Vids.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
This isn't that messy of a process; I found this video a few months ago and did my fuel filters at 15,000 miles with no problem at all. As the original video creator noted, you MUST drain that housing completely prior to removal, otherwise diesel will be all over the place. If you simply open the drain value, the filter unit will continue to syphon fuel from the tank. What I did was I opened the drain **** and began the drain as I would normally when emptying the water separator; while this was draining, I then began to remove the house only enough to stop the syphon from occurring and allowed it the drain until it stopped; which only too a few seconds. Then I removed the housing, replaced the gasket and filter and was good to go from there. Just make sure you screw the housing back on ALL THE WAY until it stops. Also, double check the drain valve to insure it's also fully closed; other you will have a leak or end up leaking air into the high pressure fuel system.

For the top side filter, simply place the rag under the filter as shown in the video, some fuel will leak but it's nothing like the low side filter. Just make sure your connections actually lock in place. There's another video running around the internet where a guys brand new Super Duty caught fire after leaving the dealership; I can only assume he had the fuel filters replaced and someone didn't connect the lines correctly. They'll click in place.

There were probably the easiest fuel filters I have ever changed on a diesel. Ford recommends changing them every 15,000 miles depending on your fuel quality. For the minimal cost of this filter kit; I'll just change them along with the two air filters at the same time. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way...

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I Love the simplicity of doing these myself. However, as stated already, make sure everything is closed( drain valve, housing, engine oil filter locks 2 of them.) after your done...:thumb:

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I Love the simplicity of doing these myself. However, as stated already, make sure everything is closed( drain valve, housing, engine oil filter locks 2 of them.) after your done...:thumb:
What engine oil filter locks are you talking about? My filter just screws on like any other traditional oil filter; or do you mean the drain value on the oil pan?:dunno:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
What engine oil filter locks are you talking about? My filter just screws on like any other traditional oil filter; or do you mean the drain value on the oil pan?:dunno:
No I meant the locks on the engine mounted fuel filter housing, not the oil pan.:thumb:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Is the guy in the videos on this Forum? I watched all of his Ford videos, super awesome and answered so many of my questions.
Toates, same here...:)

·
Registered
966 Posts
EPIC is a regular on several other Ford truck websites. I've not seen him much on this site.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This isn't that messy of a process; I found this video a few months ago and did my fuel filters at 15,000 miles with no problem at all. As the original video creator noted, you MUST drain that housing completely prior to removal, otherwise diesel will be all over the place. If you simply open the drain value, the filter unit will continue to syphon fuel from the tank. What I did was I opened the drain **** and began the drain as I would normally when emptying the water separator; while this was draining, I then began to remove the house only enough to stop the syphon from occurring and allowed it the drain until it stopped; which only too a few seconds. Then I removed the housing, replaced the gasket and filter and was good to go from there. Just make sure you screw the housing back on ALL THE WAY until it stops. Also, double check the drain valve to insure it's also fully closed; other you will have a leak or end up leaking air into the high pressure fuel system.

For the top side filter, simply place the rag under the filter as shown in the video, some fuel will leak but it's nothing like the low side filter. Just make sure your connections actually lock in place. There's another video running around the internet where a guys brand new Super Duty caught fire after leaving the dealership; I can only assume he had the fuel filters replaced and someone didn't connect the lines correctly. They'll click in place.

There were probably the easiest fuel filters I have ever changed on a diesel. Ford recommends changing them every 15,000 miles depending on your fuel quality. For the minimal cost of this filter kit; I'll just change them along with the two air filters at the same time. A little preventive maintenance goes a long way...
I'll try loosening the can while draining next time. Thanks man:thumb:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I've watched his Videos and found it/they helpful. It's cool he took the time to share these Videos...:nod::thumb::cool:

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Well, just got back with all my goodies! Fuel filter kit part # FD-4615 and some performance booster part # PM-22-A, PM-23-A. lookin' forward to doing my own FF changes.:nod:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts