Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS PRACTICALLY AN ESSAY EXPLAINING MY CURRENT SITUATION

2003 F350 7.3 with 187k on it.

A few months back, i had the common fuel leak, which i had originally fixed by myself with the Diesel 0-ring Kit. Problem solved. A few weeks later, I parked at an Advance Auto to pick up a few things for my other truck. When i get in my truck to leave, I notice the smell of fuel, so i get out and notice a large puddle of fuel under my truck, Leaking from what looked like the fuel bowl heater plug. So i towed the Truck down to my mechanic and had him fix it because i didnt have the time. $200+ later my truck was "Fixed." after that, i would get small fuel leaks every now and then, but only on occasion. I never really cared, It would drip a little. The other day as i was driving home, windows up, AC blasting, i started smelling fuel in my cab. I figured it was another little leak, and i was only a mile away from home, So i rolled my windows down, cut the AC and drove home. When i got out, fuel was pooring out of my filter housing again. I called my mechanic and he told me to bring it in. I began driving down the road, only to make it about a quarter mile before my engine felt like it was only running on 4 cylinders and broke down. I flat towed it home, and decided i would wait until today (9/30/15) to work on it.

after work today i drained the fuel filter and began to check a few things on the housing, and noticed the heater plug was a little loose. So i tightened the 2 torx screws on that, tightened the 4 torx screws on the drain valve, and checked everything else. I then put my filter back in, with o-ring placed in the right way (not upside down) and tightened my cap. I went to prime the system, turned the key to the On position, and stepped out of my truck to see if there was any fuel leaking under my truck. There wasnt, but after about 20 seconds of the fuel pump running, it built so much pressure that the cap had exploded off of the top in 2 pieces and diesel shot everywhere. No f**king clue what the problem is. Possibly the FPR?

I have searched a few threads, couldnt find anything helpful. if anyone has any answers or theories to the pressure in my fuel bowl and the rough running issue, or how they can be related, please let me know.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Someone put the FPR back together backwards (if that's even possible)? Or...was the cap cracked already and it let go under normal pressure? The fuel bowl will have 50+ PSI in it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cap could have been cracked already. I ordered the upgraded FPR from diesel o-rings and a new filter and cap. Hoping that fixes the problem, ive read on a couple seperate forums that people had problems with a pressure build up and popping caps off because of a bad FPR. i assume the reason my truck wasnt running right when i went to drive it down to the shop is because the ipr is directly under where my fuel was mainly leaking and was oretty saturated in fuel. Ive wiped it down and given it plenty of time to dry out. Hopefully i dont need to replace it... and if i do, oh well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
poppet spring must be centered in fpr housing

according to diesel o-rings if the spring for the poppet isn't centered in the fpr housing it can cause the pressure in the bowl to skyrocket... maybe during the rebuild the mechanic messed this up?

·
Registered
18 Posts
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS PRACTICALLY AN ESSAY EXPLAINING MY CURRENT SITUATION

2003 F350 7.3 with 187k on it.

A few months back, i had the common fuel leak, which i had originally fixed by myself with the Diesel 0-ring Kit. Problem solved. A few weeks later, I parked at an Advance Auto to pick up a few things for my other truck. When i get in my truck to leave, I notice the smell of fuel, so i get out and notice a large puddle of fuel under my truck, Leaking from what looked like the fuel bowl heater plug. So i towed the Truck down to my mechanic and had him fix it because i didnt have the time. $200+ later my truck was "Fixed." after that, i would get small fuel leaks every now and then, but only on occasion. I never really cared, It would drip a little. The other day as i was driving home, windows up, AC blasting, i started smelling fuel in my cab. I figured it was another little leak, and i was only a mile away from home, So i rolled my windows down, cut the AC and drove home. When i got out, fuel was pooring out of my filter housing again. I called my mechanic and he told me to bring it in. I began driving down the road, only to make it about a quarter mile before my engine felt like it was only running on 4 cylinders and broke down. I flat towed it home, and decided i would wait until today (9/30/15) to work on it.

after work today i drained the fuel filter and began to check a few things on the housing, and noticed the heater plug was a little loose. So i tightened the 2 torx screws on that, tightened the 4 torx screws on the drain valve, and checked everything else. I then put my filter back in, with o-ring placed in the right way (not upside down) and tightened my cap. I went to prime the system, turned the key to the On position, and stepped out of my truck to see if there was any fuel leaking under my truck. There wasnt, but after about 20 seconds of the fuel pump running, it built so much pressure that the cap had exploded off of the top in 2 pieces and diesel shot everywhere. No f**king clue what the problem is. Possibly the FPR?

I have searched a few threads, couldnt find anything helpful. if anyone has any answers or theories to the pressure in my fuel bowl and the rough running issue, or how they can be related, please let me know.
Man my cap is currently heaving up and down like an alien is going to burst out at idle. I am getting very little fuel to the injectors. Anyone have a proper schematic so I can go through mine?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts