Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Fuel Filter cap compatibility problem ( thread pattern ? )

I have a 94.5 PSD. I have previously purchased replacement fuel filters from Oreilly and/or NAPA. The filters had always attached to the cap with little tabs that you could depress and then separate the filter from the cap. Therefore if the new cap somehow didn't fit your fuel bowl you could just swap in the new filter to your old cap.

PROBLEM: I recently ordered multiple fuel filters from Advanced Auto and the cap is not attached with the tabs (you can't split them). Unfortunately, the treads don't work on my bowl

QUESTIONS:

- Was there different bowls/thread patters on the 94'5 changeover year? and if so, does anyone have any guesses on what other year/make/models I might be able to give parts houses to get a cap that fits

- Any other ideas?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS: the new filter cap (from advanced) has a square hold in top so you can tighten with a socket wrench.

The old filter cap (that fits) just has a series of fins/grooves on it. You can lay a screw driver in there to use as a wrench to take off.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No idea about a change over. It should fit perfectly. Part number f55055 from advance? That's all I ever run

·
Registered
999 Posts
Might be a bad filter.

Most, if not all aftermarket filters anymore have the caps attached.

I have a WIX/NAPA Gold fuel filter that is new, still in the plastic and box, I will sell you for $20 + shipping.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Trying to remember my stock filter cap and I believe the threads looked a little finer. Those advance auto filters do take some coaxing. I usually spin it backwards till the threads line up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts