·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for ya... Will dirty fuel filter effect mileage? If so why? :dunno:

·
Registered
190 Posts
common sense would say yes, but i am not sure. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
It lowers fuel pressure, so the fuel doesn't atomize as well? That would be my guess.

·
Registered
601 Posts
i dont think lowering the fuel pressure would affect atomization, low HPOP might.
that is a good question, id have to guess it would depend on conditions etc.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes it does effect it. It lower the fuel flow, and PSI after the filter, meaning your fuel galleies arnet under the same pressure. Which makes your last 2 cylinders starve for fuel.
Low fuel flow means less fuel per injection, Meaning you have to push harder on the go pedal, to do the same speed.

At least that's how I understand the theroy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats kinda what I was thinking. I always hear people say make sure your fuel filter is changed when talking about MPG's. I never understood exactly why. Hopefully someone else can chime in and elaborate more... :dunno:

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Positive pressure in the fuel rail translates to higher pressure at the nozzle. Also when the filter is clogged, it causes the pump to work harder which can aereate the fuel. The fuel will not mist propperlt into the cylinder, and in turn will not burn efficiently.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I guess Bill Gates didn't catch this one "propperlt" on your computer??????????????? I can always tell when my diesel filter is getting clogged, mileage drops and power drops. Why??? I don't know, I just got to Walmart and get another one. But what Justin says makes since in my little brain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts