Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this site and a diesel for that matter. I am looking for insight into the best direction to go in for fuel mileage. Truck is stock and has no mods other than the high idle mod. I am afraid to put a programmer on it for fear of major engine trouble. I tow occasionally but nothing huge. Mostly around town with some highway and I am seeing about 16-18 mpg. Will the zoodad mod help and how much and what other recommendations do you all have. Thanks for all the help.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
WELCOME TO ORG ! ! !

The zoodad mod will put more cold air through the intake which will help a little
next I would either straight pipe it remove muff. and cat. or do a 4 inch exhaust system and that will help your mileage, sound awesome and lower EGT's all at the same time

Then depending on how far you want to go with upgrades I'd get Gauges next: Boost, Pyro, Tranny and then get a SCT Programmer with custom tunes from DJ's Diesel, Innovative,etc. and this will be a night and day diff over stock and if driven normal will increase mpg also

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, I am definatly going to do zoodad just not sure about others yet. On a budget at 4.59 a gallon. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Stock is about as good as it gets. Keep it tuned up and drive slow!! Big tires, lifts, and smoke tunes kill MPG's. Exhaust, Zoodad, certain programmers will/might help mileage out. About all you can do. All I keep reading lately is the current fuel prices are here to stay. I read the new Ford magazine they send to folks who buy new cars and it said ford is moving toward the direction of Direct Injection engines (gas) and smaller, "worldlier" names/cars. One product, one market Idea. Let's face it... gas and cars are going "global"... we can thank globalization. So we pay the $4.68/gal diesel, or sell our trucks and draw welfare and sit at home and drive a honda to go buy smokes and use food stamps.

·
Registered
822 Posts
It's dollars in and dollars out. Best figures I've heard are maybe a 10% increase from a tuner, so figure out what it will cost you and how much you'll have to drive to get that money back. Same for an exhaust. However, if your current exhaust is getting weak, may as well replace it with a big one.

I've seen about a 20% increase by altering driving patterns, and that didn't cost me a cent. Big one was accelleration - take it easy. Never over 10psi boost, and if you have to stop, back off the gas and coast as soon as possible. You'll feel a little like grandma, but you're driving a huge truck. You can go any speed you want. What's that impatient tailgater going to do - scratch the paint on your bumper hitch when it goes through their windshield?

It's going to take a while for oil prices to settle down. They're inflated absurdly by speculators and hedge funds right now, and some countries like India and China are subsidizing the cost of fuel. Both of those will change, eventually. Those countries can't afford to subsidize gas prices for too long. At $130/barrel, all sorts of alternatives exist. Shale and tar oil cost about $70/barrel to process. Biodiesel is in the same neighborhood. More supply will cause a dip in price, and the speculators will get burned and get out of a very volatile market. Happened back in the early 80's - the arabs priced themselves out of the market, new sources were found, and oil went from $40/barrel to $12/barrel. Just guessing here, but I'd say oil will get back to under $100/barrel within a year. But, the handwriting is on the wall - we can't go on using the stuff like we have in the past.

The US is sitting on some decent reserves, but we don't want to tap into them just yet. We might really need them later. Let the arabs squander their wealth on gold bathrooms. When they run out, we'll still have petroleum, and they'll be back to herding camels.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If your coasting far I sometimes drop it in neutral. Lets it coast farther and lets the rpms drop fully.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I started doing the Neutral drop when coasting also. helps a touch. Almost wish I had a stick shift.. but that would be a pain in such a large truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts