Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 6.0 Quigley 4x4 driving, business partner and I were discussing fuel consumption while on the road this week. He posed a question that I have never seen the answer to.....

What is the fuel consumption for a 6.0 while idling? How about a 7.3 ? 6.4?

Anybody have any idea? I know big rig drivers often leave their trucks running all the time, for various reasons.

We're just curious. :tard:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
68 Posts
A 6.0 Quigley 4x4 driving, business partner and I were discussing fuel consumption while on the road this week. He posed a question that I have never seen the answer to.....

What is the fuel consumption for a 6.0 while idling? How about a 7.3 ? 6.4?

Anybody have any idea? I know big rig drivers often leave their trucks running all the time, for various reasons.

We're just curious. :tard:
My '01 7.3L uses about 0.40gal/hr at regular 680 RPMs. Using high idle (which I normally do about 1300RPMs) I use about 0.55gal/hr.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
check this out.
This is based on a 7.3 and i imaginie the 6.0 is VERY close to the same.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
That's very interesting. I wonder what the difference for the 6.4 would be for normal idle and regen mode idle.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
That's very interesting. I wonder what the difference for the 6.4 would be for normal idle and regen mode idle.
When you idle during regen, make sure you're at the pump filling up. :hehe:

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
When you idle during regen, make sure you're at the pump filling up. :hehe:
LOL, that's why I got a 7.3 lol and that would probably take a while hahaha

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well i have a question then. Sorry to barge in. How much fuel is used to start my 7.3? Would it be more fuel efficient to leave it running for 15 min or shut down and start it?

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm certainly no expert but I do remember reading in a newspaper column (Click & Clack I think it was) that anytime your engine is running and you are stopped, you are wasting fuel. They even went so far as to say in answering a woman's question, that you save fuel (gasoline) if you cut your engine off at every stop and then restart it. I remember them mentioning that fuel injected engines really don't require any extra fuel to crank them.
I suppose you may have to replace your starter more often though.:dunno:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
224 Posts
but i thought Diesels are much more fuel efficient idling than Gasoline engines? They burn hotter and burn more fuel? Maybe the idling would be the same. I have just heard from a lot of diesel guys around STL that it is more efficient to leave the truck on than turn it off. But then again i still see a lot of guys driving with tailgates down to improve mileage when it actually decreases it

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well i have a question then. Sorry to barge in. How much fuel is used to start my 7.3? Would it be more fuel efficient to leave it running for 15 min or shut down and start it?
Thanks Hank! Yeah I've been lurking around the site for a while and just recently wanted to post. I think the 6.0L would be very very close to a 7.3L. I drove a tow truck for a little while and it seemed the '03 I drove used about the same amount of fuel my '01 7.3L did. As far as leaving it running for 15 minutes to save instead of shutting down 15 min is a bit long. You use a maybe 20-30 seconds of fuel to restart. Idling for 15 mintues you will for sure use more fuel to idle that long. You'll end up using about 1/10 a gallon to idle about 15 min. I guess you have to just weigh your options regarding starter wear or fuel consumption. Personally if its less than 15 minutes, the engine idles. More than 15 min then I normally shut down.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I seen on here that someone was comparing the Diesel idle vs Gasser Idle .... I know that when Im out on a oil rig, my truck would idle for about 24hrs only useing 1/4tank and my co-workers chevy2500 has to go fill up lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
I seen on here that someone was comparing the Diesel idle vs Gasser Idle .... I know that when Im out on a oil rig, my truck would idle for about 24hrs only useing 1/4tank and my co-workers chevy2500 has to go fill up lol
Yeah that sounds about right. My truck has never idled at 1300RPMs for that long but seems though it would use about 10 gallons or so to leave it on for a day straight.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
I am guessing its an oil rig thing you leave your truck idling that long?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
6.0's burn about a gallon a hour ilding.
That is not accurate.
1/2 a gallon per hour is closer...as per the link i posted earlier.
The only reason the big rigs leave them idleing is because they are harder to start...no place to plug in a block heater and they can run appliances in there sleeper with it running...microwave ovens, TVs the heater or AC. etc. They can idle while they sleep and use only a few gallons and when diesel was 1.00 per gallon back in the good ol days, this was not a big deal. Now they will spend 30-40 bucks while they sleep if they leave it running.

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is not accurate.
1/2 a gallon per hour is closer...as per the link i posted earlier.
The only reason the big rigs leave them idleing is because they are harder to start...no place to plug in a block heater and they can run appliances in there sleeper with it running...microwave ovens, TVs the heater or AC. etc. They can idle while they sleep and use only a few gallons and when diesel was 1.00 per gallon back in the good ol days, this was not a big deal. Now they will spend 30-40 bucks while they sleep if they leave it running.
My Scan Gauge II shows around .64 gal/hour when it's cold and idling normally. At working temp, idle rate is .48-.50 gal/hour. This is for a '06 6.0.

Al

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
My Scan Gauge II shows around .64 gal/hour when it's cold and idling normally. At working temp, idle rate is .48-.50 gal/hour. This is for a '06 6.0.

Al

:thumb::thumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts