Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I bought my first diesel - a bone stock 02 7.3L CCLB auto with about 140K on it. Since the purchase, I have had a mechanic replace the vacuum pump, hubs, radiator, and brakes/pads/rotors.... to be expected when purchasing a used vehicle. The truck now has 162K on it. Since the purchase, I have spent ALOT of time researching these forums. Much respect to all those who participate in providing this knowledge base. The terminology is still something I struggle with, but occasionally I come across a pic that points out what is what. Now I am at the point where I feel comfortable with fixing some of the 'smaller' problems associated with fords.

For a few months I have had the common fuel bowl drain leak. Bought the replacement o-rings and changed them out. When I was reinstalling the screws that mount the drain valve to the fuel bowl, I found that two of them were stripped. Now I have to remove the fuel bowl, re-tap the stripped threads, and reinstall using slightly larger hardware. Anyone know what size those screws are? Is that bowl aluminum? Some searching led me to a thread where someone replaced them with M5 x 0.8 x 20mm. Would like to confirm that this size is appropriate before I go any further. As long as I am removing the fuel bowl, I will purchase the o-ring kit for the bowl and replace all of them.

A little more time under the hood led me to another discovery - the driver side intercooler boots (both below the spider and the hot intake) are covered in soot. The passenger side and the ones down by the radiator have small amounts of soot, but nothing like the drivers side. They leak so badly that my oil filter, tranny, and underbody is covered in what looks like oil, but not as viscous and the color is lighter. Always thought it was from the leaky fuel bowl drain, but now I am thinking otherwise. Maybe it is a combination of both. Now I am going to buy the complete boot set from Riffraff and replace all of them. Seems like something that a noob can handle in an afternoon. As long as I am in there, should I replace the plenums with Riffraffs more durable ones, or is that a waste of $40?

I am planning on removing the fuel bowl and replacing the intercooler boots on the same day. As long as I have all those parts removed and the top of the motor exposed, are there any other parts worth replacing, upgrading, or cleaning?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
you could try cleaning the oil from your intercooler boots.
possibly do the ccv mod to prevent them from getting oily again

i have intercooler boots from riffraff and they are nice.

the fuel bowl is aluminum, thats why the steel screws strip so easy.

check icp see how it looks.

change fuel filter

maybe do AIH delete.

delete the foil from the drivers side intercooler pipe

check to see if your missing the top two bolts from the center section of the trubo.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
These trucks suck all the crankcase vapors in through the turbo, piping and IC. It makes a mess. After changing the CCV setup and cleaning the boots, they have all stayed nice and clean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you could try cleaning the oil from your intercooler boots.
possibly do the ccv mod to prevent them from getting oily again

i have intercooler boots from riffraff and they are nice.

the fuel bowl is aluminum, thats why the steel screws strip so easy.

check icp see how it looks.

change fuel filter

maybe do AIH delete.

delete the foil from the drivers side intercooler pipe

check to see if your missing the top two bolts from the center section of the trubo.
Good advice. I am going to pass on the CCV mod over concerns about installing it incorrectly and blowing seals. Two of the old boots have visible cracks. Don't mind cleaning the new boots every couple of years.

When I check the icp, am I just looking for oil in the connection, or do you check it by unplugging it and seeing if the engine idles differently?

Was also considering cleaning out the EBPV.

For the AIH delete, I noticed that riffraff has a plug that replaces the sensor rather than destroying it with a grinder. They also sell one with tapped for boost. Is boost something that I should monitor? If so, is the tapped plug the way to go? I don't planning on adding a chip, but it seems that monitoring egt, boost, and fuel pressure will help with troubleshooting. Already have a fuel pressure gauge. Need to research boost and egt options.

Something tells me that the list of mods is never ending....

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
The mods never end lol

Unplug the icp and see if theirs oil coming through. If there is replace it.

Boost is good to monitor.
I have riffraffs tapped AIH delete for my boost line.

If their is cracks in them I'd replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled the icp electrical plug and noticed a small amount of oil on the seal, but none in the plug itself. I have not had any troubles with it yet... but...

Do I need to have the fuel bowl off to replace the icp? Is it a stealership part or is it something I can buy aftermarket? Don't have the extra $$ right now for replacement, so hopefully it can be removed with the fuel bowl still intact. Thinking I will buy one after next paycheck and keep it in the glovebox for replacement when the old one actually goes out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You don't have to remove the bowl just to remove the ICP, I just used a wrench to do mine. As far as the sensor I would just go Ford, not through the dealer, just check online, usually can find one a good deal cheaper.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
ebay!

and dieselorings sells a complete fuel bowl rebuild kit as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I looked around online and found ford ones for about $175. Ebay had some, but I don't like the lack of descriptions offered on ebay.... can't tell if it is rebuilt, ford manufactured, blah blah blah. Ford dealer sells em for $200.

Do I need to replace the icp wiring harness as well, or will cleaning it out with brake cleaner get the job done?

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
cleaning the connector usually works just fine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts