Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone with dpf delete using a fuel additive ????? If so are you having good results?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am using a mixture of Ford and OptiLube. I put the Optilube in every third tank to keep my fuel milage up. I use the Ford brand the other two tanks (Ford is mainly a Cetane Boost), while the Opti Lube helps with keeping the system clean.
I have had awesome results with the OptiLube, I buy it from a local shop here but you can probably find it on the net.
I posted a study on here a while back and will try to find it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I found it, here you go
If you read the back of the bottles you will see that most of them are now ULSD compliant. I stumbled across this a while back and was impressed, after trying Opti Lube I was sold. Here is a study that was conducted on all the addatives.
Ranking Additive HFRR Score Improvement Over Base Fuel Blend Ratio Dose Oz. per 26-Gal Tank MSRP $ Cost per 26-Gal Tank COMMENTS
Desired Engine Manufacturers Assoc DESIRED < 460 Desired by the Engine Manufacturers Association
Standard U.S. Standard < 520 U.S. Lubricity Standard for ULSD fuel Baseline Untreated ULSD #2 Diesel Fuel 636 Baseline fuel used in this study
1 2% REG SoyPower Biodiesel 221 415 50:1 66.56 Market Soybean based bio-diesel
2 Opti-Lube XPD 317 319 256:1 13.00 $4.35 Multi-purpose + anti-gel, Cetane improver, Demulsifier
3 FPPF RV, Bus, SUV Diesel/Gas Fuel Treatment 439 197 640:1 5.20 $2.60 Gas & Diesel - Cetane improver, Emulsifier
4 Opti-Lube Summer Blend 447 189 3000:1 1.11 $0.68 Multi-purpose, Demulsifier
5 Opti-Lube Winter Blend 461 175 512:1 6.50 $3.65 Muti-purpose + anti-gel, Cetane improver
6 Schaeffer Diesel Treat 2000 470 166 1000:1 3.33 $1.87 Multi-purpose + anti-gel, Cetane improver, Emulsifier, bio-diesel compatible
7 Super Tech Outboard 2-Cycle TC-W3 Engine Oil 474 162 200:1 16.64 $1.09 Unconventional
- (Not ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 or newer systems)
8 Stanadyne Lubricity Formula 479 157 1000:1 3.32 $1.00 Lubricant, Demulsifier, Detergent, Anti-Oxidant, Corrosion Inhibitor, Alcohol-Free
9 Amsoil Diesel Concentrate 488 148 640:1 5.20 $2.16 Multi-purpose - Demulsifier, alcohol free, bio-diesel compatible
10 Power Service Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost 575 61 400:1 8.32 $1.58 Multi-purpose - Cetane improver, bio-diesel compatible, alcohol free
11 Howe’s Meaner Power Kleaner 586 50 1000:1 3.32 $1.36 Multi-purpose -Alcohol free
12 Stanadyne Performance Formula 603 33 480:1 6.93 $4.35 Multi-purpose + anti-gel - Cetane improver, Demulsifier, Detergent, Anti-Oxidant, Corrosion Inhibitor, Alcohol-Free, 5% bio-diesel compatible
13 Used Motor Oil Shell Rotella T 15W-40 5,000 miles used. 634 + 2 Insignifficant 200:1 16.64 $0.00 Unconventional
- (Not ULSD compliant, may damage systems)
14 Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant 641 - 5 Insignifficant 427:1 7.79 $2.65 Gas or Diesel
15 B1000 Diesel Fuel Conditioner by Milligan Biotech 644 - 8 Insignifficant 1000:1 3.32 $2.67 Multi-purpose, canola oil based additive
16 FPPF Lubricity Plus Fuel Power 675 - 39 1000:1 3.32 $1.12 Multi-purpose + anti-gel - Emulsifier, alcohol free
17 Marvel Mystery Oil 678 - 42 320:1 10.40 $3.22 Gas, Oil and Diesel fuel additive - (NOT ULSD compliant, may damage 2007 and newer systems)
18 ValvTect Diesel Guard Heavy Duty/Marine Diesel Fuel Additive 696 - 60 1000:1 3.32 $2.38 Multi-purpose - Cetane improver, Emulsifier, alcohol free
19 Primrose Power Blend 2003 711 - 75 1066:1 3.12 $1.39 Multi-purpose - Cetane boost, bio-diesel compatible, Emulsifier
Products 13 through 15 had a statistically insignifficant effect on the HFRR score compared to the baseline fuel.
Any additive testing within +/- 20 microns of the baseline fuel could be considered to have no significant change. The repeatability of this test allows for a +/- 20 micron variability to be considered insignificant.

DIESEL FUEL LUBRICITY ADDITIVES STUDY RESULTS
Products 1 through 4 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 460 or better. This meets the strictest requirements requested by the Engine Manufacturers
Association.
Products 1 through 9 were able to improve the unadditized fuel to an HFRR score of 520 or better, meeting the U.S. diesel fuel requirements for maximum wear scar in a commercially
available diesel fuel.
Products 16 through 19 were found to cause the fuel/additive blend to perform worse than the baseline fuel. The cause for this is speculative. This is not unprecedented in HFRR testing
and can be caused by alcohol or other components in the additives. Further investigation into the possibilities behind these poor results will be investigated.
Copyright© The Diesel Place & A. D. Spicer August, 2007

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
One thing to watch out for is anything that is an emulsifier. It will allow water to get past the filter system. And no alcohol.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Thank you for that tip David. Can I assume then that a Demulsifier in an additive i.e.:

(Opti-Lube XPD 317 319 256:1 13.00 $4.35 Multi-purpose + anti-gel, Cetane improver, Demulsifier) will be better for the rig?
I am pretty new and was thinking of starting to use an additive but was unsure if it was worth it.
~Mike~

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Yes, demulsifiers will aid in water removal by the filter drain by collecting the water there. That's the preferred method by any manufacturer I'm aware of. The Emulsifiers break up the water into very small particles that pass through the filter system. The main problem is corrosion of the fuel system by this water. As the engine cools the water droplets could reform in the fuel system. There is also risk of injector damage, which you don't wont. It also may void the fuel system warranty. The filter drain is a great thing to have but a demulsifer makes it useless for water removal.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
I apologize for sounding like such a dumb a$$ here, but it sounds like to me from what your saying is that it is probably a better bet NOT to use an additive that has a demulsifer in it?
I'm really good about draining my filter every month, so this should not be a problem.
Just trying to do the right thing for my rig, so all impute is most appreciated.
~Mike~

·
Registered
40 Posts
RBP and Redline have a really good additive!

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Ha!!!!

Tank, Now that's funny:hehe:
I found those posts AFTER posting to this thread. Pretty kick a$$ information there and worth the time to read:thumb:
~Mike~

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I apologize for sounding like such a dumb a$$ here, but it sounds like to me from what your saying is that it is probably a better bet NOT to use an additive that has a demulsifer in it?
I'm really good about draining my filter every month, so this should not be a problem.
Just trying to do the right thing for my rig, so all impute is most appreciated.
~Mike~
Actually I'm saying not to use an emulsifier. Emulsion of the water into the diesel letting it pass through the filter system to the fuel system can be bad. Demulsifiers help to keep the water from getting past the filter system and aid in collection of the water for removal via the drain valve.

If you use a good emulsifier you'll never see the water. That's because it's going through the fuel system. If you use the demulsifier you will drain the water out before it gets in the fuel system.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
6.0 Here but that does not matter, Diesel Kleen for years and is the best. I would use nothing else.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Great David and thanks. I was just a little slow on the uptake here:thumb:
~Mike~

·
Premium Member
127 Posts

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Setting out on a 3000 mile trip pulling a 9600lb 5er next week. Should have some good numbers then.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Setting out on a 3000 mile trip pulling a 9600lb 5er next week. Should have some good numbers then.
I look forward to hearing about what you think of the stuff Pyro:thumb:
~Mike~

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
I will be leaving Thursday 8/6 and will keep an update while on the road. I was thinking about using the opti lube one way and Ford Centane booster the other way,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts