Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I have tried to do in recent years is to be more open minded about things we use in these trucks. Motor oil, fuel additives, oil additives, etc etc etc...whatever.
Why?? Cause we as owners tend to get in a rut with a "closed mind" about what works, what doesn't work. Sure NO ONE wants to change something for the bad....but what happens when we miss changing things for the good?? I would believe we all have used some products that "changed" only to experience a loss of quality, or "performance" in the end. Sometimes those changes ACTUALLY make significant differences helping us!

With all that expressed I was roaming thru the ol' internet visiting the typical fuel additive companies. I had to visit my current favorite Howe's to see if their product line had any changes. Now people may ask "Why Howes?". If you know anything about fuel additives you know any that use alcohol for their diesel formulas need to be avoided like the plague. Well Howe's doesn't use alcohol in their products, it's fairly cheap, found easily, and ....for me....works pretty damn good.

I noticed they have a product under the name Diesel Defender: Diesel Fuel lubricator & Injector Cleaner. They tout a few different things as all fuel additives do. What was interesting is they claim an increase of 2.5x more lubricity as well as a 5% increase in fuel economy. Hmmmmm.....okay. Let's see what happens. I search local stores that may carry this specific product. Well what do you know...a local Napa has it on the shelf.

Here's the fun part: I'm going on my third tank of fuel using this specific product. Well....I have to say....I need other people to give it a try. Why?? Cause I'm not crazy....but I need to be sure.
Before I generally see a town MPG average from 16+ to 17 (at best). I generally see just under 500 miles driven with 1/4 tank of fuel left.
I'm not seeing easily 17-17.5 MPG for town driving. I'm now getting easily to 500+miles driven with 1/4 tank of fuel left.

So before I give any honest REAL suggestion that this stuff is making HUGE changes I need someone else to give it a try. Please humor me....I'm not paid by Howe's nor do I get anything of value in any way. The value I gain is sharing experiences, and the knowledge shared by others.

Cause the more I drive using this additive, the more I see positive results, the harder it becomes to convince me otherwise. I'll be filling up today (maybe tomorrow) so I'll have those results. I'm going to go get another bottle to keep using it for the upcoming months. So maybe before the winter fuel blends hit I can see the results. Then if those results stay positive I'll run it thru the winter months on the fuel blends they push out.

:geek: :geek:

Premium Member
So as I have tried to do in recent years is to be more open minded about things we use in these trucks. Motor oil, fuel additives, oil additives, etc etc etc...whatever.
Why?? Cause we as owners tend to get in a rut with a "closed mind" about what works, what doesn't work. Sure NO ONE wants to change something for the bad....but what happens when we miss changing things for the good?? I would believe we all have used some products that "changed" only to experience a loss of quality, or "performance" in the end. Sometimes those changes ACTUALLY make significant differences helping us!

With all that expressed I was roaming thru the ol' internet visiting the typical fuel additive companies. I had to visit my current favorite Howe's to see if their product line had any changes. Now people may ask "Why Howes?". If you know anything about fuel additives you know any that use alcohol for their diesel formulas need to be avoided like the plague. Well Howe's doesn't use alcohol in their products, it's fairly cheap, found easily, and ....for me....works pretty damn good.

I noticed they have a product under the name Diesel Defender: Diesel Fuel lubricator & Injector Cleaner. They tout a few different things as all fuel additives do. What was interesting is they claim an increase of 2.5x more lubricity as well as a 5% increase in fuel economy. Hmmmmm.....okay. Let's see what happens. I search local stores that may carry this specific product. Well what do you know...a local Napa has it on the shelf.

Here's the fun part: I'm going on my third tank of fuel using this specific product. Well....I have to say....I need other people to give it a try. Why?? Cause I'm not crazy....but I need to be sure.
Before I generally see a town MPG average from 16+ to 17 (at best). I generally see just under 500 miles driven with 1/4 tank of fuel left.
I'm not seeing easily 17-17.5 MPG for town driving. I'm now getting easily to 500+miles driven with 1/4 tank of fuel left.

So before I give any honest REAL suggestion that this stuff is making HUGE changes I need someone else to give it a try. Please humor me....I'm not paid by Howe's nor do I get anything of value in any way. The value I gain is sharing experiences, and the knowledge shared by others.

Cause the more I drive using this additive, the more I see positive results, the harder it becomes to convince me otherwise. I'll be filling up today (maybe tomorrow) so I'll have those results. I'm going to go get another bottle to keep using it for the upcoming months. So maybe before the winter fuel blends hit I can see the results. Then if those results stay positive I'll run it thru the winter months on the fuel blends they push out.

Dammit, I literally just ordered my stock of opti-lube yesterday 馃槀. Will pick one up if I slither into Napa and try it out. Thanks for the info!

Premium Member
I had seen that product and wondered what the difference was between Defender and Diesel Treat. From the website it appears to be mainly the anti gelling properties. According to them, Defender also contains "highly concentrated lubricity package" and IDX4 detergent.
I'm willing to give it a whirl. Why not? It will have to be after towing season since I go from 12 mpg to 17 mpg depending on the week. My average since last OCI is around 14 mpg for the last 5k miles or so.

Premium Member
Good info. I too just ordered a new jug of Opti Lube. I'll give it a go if I run out of the current jug before this jug gets here!

-jokester

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the support! Might just be me so please try it for at least two tanks of fuel.

Today's fill up report:
Truck dash display: 30.6 fuel used with 530 miles driven.
Fuel to the cap: 28.846 gallons.
MPG: 18.37

Just to be clear. The Ford dash Fuel Used information has always been higher to what I need to fill up. This time 1.8 gallons difference is a bit "wider spread" than I'm used to seeing. 1 gallon is my more common "spread" that I have noted in the past. Not sure why it's so high so I'll double check my previous data.

Registered
Thanks for the support! Might just be me so please try it for at least two tanks of fuel.

Today's fill up report:
Truck dash display: 30.6 fuel used with 530 miles driven.
Fuel to the cap: 28.846 gallons.
MPG: 18.37

Just to be clear. The Ford dash Fuel Used information has always been higher to what I need to fill up. This time 1.8 gallons difference is a bit "wider spread" than I'm used to seeing. 1 gallon is my more common "spread" that I have noted in the past. Not sure why it's so high so I'll double check my previous data.
That鈥檚 odd. My dash always reads lower. Dash may say 55 gallons used but it takes 61-62 gallons to top off. This is with a Titan 65 gallon but it did the same with my stock tank.

By the way鈥 how much stock did you buy in this company before your wonderful sales pitch?!? 馃槀馃ぃ馃槀

Registered
06 6.0 drw 635 rwhp (retired) 08 KR build in progress
Interesting, I鈥檝e been using hotshots everyday diesel and actually an uptick in fuel Econ. Shocked me to say the least i was just after some lubricity for these finicky K16 pumps. When this bottle runs out may try the above see how it compares.

Registered
I've had my '15 F350 6.7 for a few months; with untreated fuel it averages ~18.3 mpg (unloaded, cruise control at 70). Accepting the counsel of the community, and recognising that Ford does recommend a fuel additive, I got a bottle of Hotshots Extreme and threw in half the recommended amount at my last fillup before making a 100 mile trip. It averaged 20.1, over the same road. I'm usually hesitant to come to a conclusion, but damn! Labor Day weekend we're hauling the camper up north, it'll give me a chance to compare it against the Montana trip we took in July.

A jug of Opti-Lube XPD just arrived, I'll switch to it when the Hotshots is gone and continue the experiment.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Innospec products? Ecoclean or Powerguard?

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That鈥檚 odd. My dash always reads lower. Dash may say 55 gallons used but it takes 61-62 gallons to top off. This is with a Titan 65 gallon but it did the same with my stock tank.

By the way鈥 how much stock did you buy in this company before your wonderful sales pitch?!? 馃槀馃ぃ馃槀
A) You need to program your truck correctly.
B) I'm not a member of Congress.

Premium Member
>>B) I'm not a member of Congress.
That is probably what Martha Stewart was thinking during her vacation time. And since then.

Registered
So before I give any honest REAL suggestion that this stuff is making HUGE changes I need someone else to give it a try.

So to pad your pockets a little, I stopped by Flying J and grabbed a 64oz bottle. I鈥檒l let you know how it goes too. I鈥檝e never ran any kind of lubricant or injector cleaner through my engine and it鈥檚 been going strong for 155,000 miles. If it happens to let go鈥 I鈥檓 sending you the bill. 馃槀馃ぃ馃槀

Registered
My cousin has a farm back in Iowa, and has a lot of diesel vehicles.
When I told him about my first diesel truck purchase he immediately told me to use Howes Anti-Gel & Fuel Conditioner.
Than I found out he purchased a 2020 F150 Ecoboost ...after all the stories and mods I did to mine
Bottle Liquid Bottle cap Fluid Drink

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts