Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was told by the dealer that I didn't have to use a fuel additive, but if I wanted to it wouldn't hurt anything. Ive always used Diesel Kleen in the 7.3 and 6.0 that Ive had just wanted to see what anyone else thought. We all know the fuels are junk these days just want to keep everything running good

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I run Motorcraft fuel additives everyfill up. At the very least run a winter additive to prevent gelling in colder weather (40* F and under). On this forum it seems like most people use additives.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run Motorcraft fuel additives everyfill up. At the very least run a winter additive to prevent gelling in colder weather (40* F and under). On this forum it seems like most people use additives.
How much is theirs if you don't mind me asking and how much of the bottle is used with every fill up?

·
Registered
966 Posts
The problem with the Ford product is that it is either a Cetane boost or a Anti gel. It doesn't do both. ( PM 22 vs PM 23). I've used the Ford PM22 Cetane boost version in the summer, But in the winter months I use the Opti-Lube product. Which contains both an Anti-gel and a Cetane boost.

The Ford product was not around when the big additive test was done by Diesel Power Mag back in 2007. So there is no rating for that product. But the Opti-lube came in as one of the best additives. Now I'm sure some of the other products have redone formulas since and may be better, But there are no 3rd party test to prove it.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
The problem with the Ford product is that it is either a Cetane boost or a Anti gel. It doesn't do both. ( PM 22 vs PM 23). I've used the Ford PM22 Cetane boost version in the summer, But in the winter months I use the Opti-Lube product. Which contains both an Anti-gel and a Cetane boost.

The Ford product was not around when the big additive test was done by Diesel Power Mag back in 2007. So there is no rating for that product. But the Opti-lube came in as one of the best additives. Now I'm sure some of the other products have redone formulas since and may be better, But there are no 3rd party test to prove it.
I have never heard anything bad about Opti-Lube or Diesel kleen. I would probably run Opti-lube if I was putting it in an older truck.

I run Motorcraft, to insure no BS when/if a warrenty issue came up. I was told today at the dealership to run both the cetane booster and anti gel stuff in the winter time, and just the cetane booster the rest of the year.

Each Bottle treats 100 Gallons (think its 4 oz for 25 gallon fillups, so they are 16 oz each...) and cost between $10 and $15 depending on where you get them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Power Service Diesel Kleen 9-10 Oz per 26 Gals (fill up). Keeps the injectors clean. Get it at Wally.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I run Motorcraft, to insure no BS when/if a warrenty issue came up. I was told today at the dealership to run both the cetane booster and anti gel stuff in the winter time, and just the cetane booster the rest of the year.
Since Ford says you don't need an additive, I don't believe it will really do much for to improve your warranty. The reason we use it, is the hope that the added lubrication will protect us from ever having to use the warranty.

Opti-Lube was one of the best in the test at adding lubricating qualities, The disadvantage is that you buy it over the internet or an 800 number and have it shipped. With shipping it's about $50 a gallon ( pretty close to the same price as the Ford product) The gallon comes with a pump that dispenses 1 oz per pump. So I either put 4-6 pumps in when I get home from filling up or carry several 6oz bottles behind the back seat with product in them. (Big Laing, It comes out of Provo, so it's just 1-2 days shipping)

Power Service claims their formula has been improved since the test were conducted. So their lubricating rating should be improved. But I have not found any independant test that can confirm or deny that. But it is readily available at most retail locations. I can usually buy the jug that does 250 gallons of fuel at the farm supply stores for $9. So it is definitely cheaper. I use it in my construction equipment, But those are all pre-2007 and pre ultra low sulfur.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am an Amsoil dealer so I run their diesel fuel additive concentrate. No cetane boost, but price is fine and I'm more worried about protection than power.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I run opti lube summer and winter during the appropriate season. I spoke with my service writer ( has a 6.7) and turned him on to opti lube aswell. Even though company line is no additive needed, he himself uses a cetane boost because the Bosch pump is euro which has a 46 cetane min. Here in the US our cetane min. Is 40 even though quality fuels are probably higher the US minimum cetane rating is too low for the pump design. Opti lube is up to 8 point increase which puts me back to pump design spec. The service writer also said since opti exceeds ford's product it would not be a warranty affecting factor.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide

·
Registered
776 Posts
If you want to read some interesting things, check out the MSDS sheets for these additives. You'll find remarkable similarities.
Ford PM22A is 60-100% Hydr treated light distillate. The balance is Naphthalene (up to 1%) and 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene (.1-1%)
Optilube is 52-63% petroleum naphtha
13-21% trimethylbenzene
6.6-13% 2 ethylhexyl nitrate
12.5% 1,2,4 trimethylbenzene
3.3-6.6% 1,3,5 trimethylbenzene
3.6-6.6% propylene glycol ether
3% xylene
2% cumene
1% naphthalene

Stanadyne Performance is
30-50% distillates hydrotreated light petro
20-30% 2 ethylhexyl nitrate
10-30% naphtha
3-7% ethylene glycol monobutyl ether
1-5 trimethybenzene
1-3% naphthalene

Diesel Kleen + cetane (very vague MSDS)
petroleum distillates
Aromatic hydrocarbons
These descriptions describe things found in the Opti and PM products.

Just an FYI. I personally use the diesel kleen.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been using Opti-Lube for the past few months. At first I bought the gallon pail but now I have graduated to the five gallon pail. It says to use 1/4 to 1/2 ounce per gallon at each fill up. I bought it about 2 months ago and haven't even put a dent in the five gallon bucket yet. I read the same article as everyone else has and I like knowing that it is one of the best all around additives you can use.

That old saying about an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that, I think applies here. No complaints from me!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
i am running the motorcraft cetane booster and after 4 fill ups and using the cetane boost every other tank full see better mpg with the tank of booster, now i know different varables, now when i talked to the ford parts guy he said runn the booster during april to when the nights get cold then run the anti-gel the rest of the time u don't need both.

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you need the cetane increase in your fuel, You will need it year round. It's not like your fuel supplier bumps up the cetane when winter comes.. If your fuel has adequet Cetane, Why are you adding the additive during the summer.

Sometimes I just shake my head at the sales guys behind the counter.

If you are spending money for an additive, You might just as well buy a complete additive that addresses all your needs vs just some of them. the cost difference is almost nothing.

Decide why you are using an additive. and buy the additive that addresses all your needs. Lubrication, increase cetane, maybe Biocide those in humid climates. In the winter months lubrication, cetane and anti-gel. are probably the most common needs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you need the cetane increase in your fuel, You will need it year round. It's not like your fuel supplier bumps up the cetane when winter comes.. If your fuel has adequet Cetane, Why are you adding the additive during the summer.

Sometimes I just shake my head at the sales guys behind the counter.

If you are spending money for an additive, You might just as well buy a complete additive that addresses all your needs vs just some of them. the cost difference is almost nothing.

Decide why you are using an additive. and buy the additive that addresses all your needs. Lubrication, increase cetane, maybe Biocide those in humid climates. In the winter months lubrication, cetane and anti-gel. are probably the most common needs.
I agree completely, that is what ultimately made me decide to go with Opti-Lube. They have a few different products that do multiple things. Like you said, its not like they up the cetane/lubricity at different times of the year.
For me, if it was something I am going to run all the time they seemed to fit my needs perfectly.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I was told that the ford stuff is stanadyne just repackaged

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have been using Opti-Lube for the past few months. At first I bought the gallon pail but now I have graduated to the five gallon pail. It says to use 1/4 to 1/2 ounce per gallon at each fill up. I bought it about 2 months ago and haven't even put a dent in the five gallon bucket yet. I read the same article as everyone else has and I like knowing that it is one of the best all around additives you can use.

That old saying about an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, or something like that, I think applies here. No complaints from me!

be careful to not let that product set around too long. it is hydroscopic and will literally suck moisture out of the air (through temperature cycling). ymmv depending on your particular local humidity. be sure to store it in a cool dry location and keep it tightly capped.:thumb:

SM

1 - 20 of 20 Posts