Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen the results that show bio, then Opti-lube, then fttp (?), etc. I have not seen Motorcraft or the XDP additives in any of the comparisons. I know a number of people seem to like both, but have there been any tests including these two for lubricity and cetane boost? I just finished the last of my Stanadyne and am ready to try something else.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Try Rev-X i swear by it and so do allot of people do. It cleans injectors and seam to give the best increase IMO on cetane. I have used RBP's as well and liked it.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I run rev-x and diesel kleen + cetane boost in the silver bottle and truck seems to thank me for it. I think the DK got pretty good reviews in the lubricity study that is floating around here somewhere...:dunno:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
BG 248
This stuff if Danm good ,better than stanadyne any day.run you will be happy like I am.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
I run rev-x and diesel kleen + cetane boost in the silver bottle and truck seems to thank me for it. I think the DK got pretty good reviews in the lubricity study that is floating around here somewhere...:dunno:
the "lubricity study floating around here somewhere" is in the post above yours.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive only ever run Opti-lube XPD, its not about seat of the pants feel for me, I don't really buy that... just test results. A quick google search netted a few of the major studies out there:

http://www.natbiogroup.com/docs/education/lubricity additive study results.pdf

www.dieselplace.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=44499
These are the results I mentioned in my opening post. That's why I'm asking if there are any test results for XDP and Motorcraft additives since they were not part of the test.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
These are the results I mentioned in my opening post. That's why I'm asking if there are any test results for XDP and Motorcraft additives since they were not part of the test.
???? The motocraft additive is Stanadyne, it came in #8 in the lubricity study.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Every time one of these fuel additive comparision threads pop up I feel compelled to respond, so here goes.

When looking at a fuel additive one must look at the whole package, not just lubricity. For instance a bio blend is probably the best lubricity improver out there, but what does it do for cetane? Bio actually has less power per gallon than reg diesel. Bio actually has more of a problem drawing moisture than reg diesel, so you would have to add a demulsifier. It also does nothing to stabilize fuel.

I am not calling out bio blends, just using it for argument sake since that lubricity study has been mentioned already, but the same can be said for 2 stroke oil also.

When selecting a diesel fuel additive everything I have mentioned above must be taken into consideration. Do you really "need" the best lubricity improver?, or would a correct balance of lubricity,cetane improver, water demulsifier, and fuel stabilizer suit your fuel system better in the long run?

·
Registered
933 Posts
powerservice white from around thanksgiving to around easter, powerservice grey rest of the year. oil change i throw in 2 quarts of ATF and some 2 stroke oil and ive had no issues

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Every time one of these fuel additive comparision threads pop up I feel compelled to respond, so here goes.

When looking at a fuel additive one must look at the whole package, not just lubricity. For instance a bio blend is probably the best lubricity improver out there, but what does it do for cetane? Bio actually has less power per gallon than reg diesel. Bio actually has more of a problem drawing moisture than reg diesel, so you would have to add a demulsifier. It also does nothing to stabilize fuel.

I am not calling out bio blends, just using it for argument sake since that lubricity study has been mentioned already, but the same can be said for 2 stroke oil also.

When selecting a diesel fuel additive everything I have mentioned above must be taken into consideration. Do you really "need" the best lubricity improver?, or would a correct balance of lubricity,cetane improver, water demulsifier, and fuel stabilizer suit your fuel system better in the long run?
You can boost cetane in biodiesel as well as #2. I have run a lot of biodiesel through my truck mostly B99 and my truck is as quiet as a dmax when running bio. After 4 months of B99 I switched back to #2 for the winter and I had gotten so used to the way my truck sounded on bio that it took me a while to realize that there wasn't anything wrong with the truck, it was the difference in the fuel. I never noticed any SOP drop in power from the B99 and in fact the best fuel mileage I have ever gotten out of my truck was while running about a B50. Talk down biodiesel all you want but if I had a steady local supply that is all I would run, weather permitting. It smells so nice too. Like someone has a grill going. I never had any issues with water or anything else other than waxing a filter when it got to cold.

·
Registered
381 Posts
As I stated I was only using biodiesel as an example in the famed lubricity study that was mentioned in an earlier post. I am well aware that a biodiesel blend is very good for a fuel system. The OP asked which fuel additive is preferred, the lubricity study mentioned used unadditized fuel to increase lubricity, a fuel that the consumer should not see in the marketplace.

Because of this reading that study everyone puts too much emphisis on lubricity and not enough on the other equally important ingredients of a commercially available diesel fuel additive.

I have three bulk diesel tanks that depending on the time of year are emptied in a week and a half or amy take 4 or 5 months. In the nine different diesel engines that use this fuel we have never had a fuel related problem in any engine in over 25 years, never. I use the John Deere diesel fuel additive (blended by Stanadyne) in every gallon, and I can't even remember a dirty fuel filter or ever having any moisture when changing a filter.
One engine has in excess of 11,000 hrs. and the entire fuel system is completely original, minus the filters of course.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I use Opti Lube XPD in my 6.0. This does it all, lube, cetane boost, anti gel, and cleans.

In the 7.3 I run 2 stroke oil every tank. When I first got it I did a double dose of Disel Clean (only did this cause it was cheap and I am not putting a lot of $$$ into the 7.3)

Also, where I get my fuel, it has a small portion of Bio.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anyone use lucas in your fuel? And also where do you get the rev x or the opti lube xpd

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Order opti lube direct from opti, google there website for phone number. Wouldn't run rev X unless your havin injector issues

·
Registered
412 Posts
I use to run 2 stroke in my GMC 6.5 Diesel, but since thats gone and i have my 6.0 I have only run Power Service Grey bottle bc its availability. Winter ill run the white bottle. I also Run Amsoil Diesel Concentrate + Cetane Boost as well when I order something as well. Dont wanna run 2 stroke in the 6.0, afraid it might mess with the injectors. I like what i have run so far so cant complain, but heard like above opti lube was rated really high in terms of the HFRR. If you could buy it locally that would be nice tho

·
Registered
412 Posts
wasnt too sure i know it might help with lubrication but not sure if it could do any other harm....how many ppl run 2 stroke oil in there pre 07 trucks?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts