Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get one used for cheap. Is it worth it? Or should i go with the mcmaster carr 6870K59 aluminum one?

I know buying a new one from fryer to fuel is a waste of money, but for half the price of their website, is it a capable housing? or should i stay away?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
i have had one and it was okay but now i have the aluminum one and i like it alot better.
But for half price, if money is an issue, this one will work just fine!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey clay,

What can you say is the main difference between this and aluminum?

The aluminum one can take more heat, but ill be filtering through after its cooled down, so that shouldnt be an issue.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
heat is the main thing...i don't always want to wait for my oil to cool to 100*. The cap on the plastic one screws on and it can be a PITA to get off sometimes after it has gotten a little dryed grease in the threads. Keep those clean and DONT over tighen it or you won't get it off easily.
The blue one is also tice as big. The filters for it can only be bought from McMasters...the aluminum one uses a standard trade size 4 bag and can be found at other places.
So its a good filter but it has some small drawbacks.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I didn't go with that one because of the heat issue. I intentionally heat my oil before the filter because it is high in chicken fat. I want the fat to be liquefied before passing through the filter or it could clog it.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I didn't go with that one because of the heat issue. I intentionally heat my oil before the filter because it is high in chicken fat. I want the fat to be liquefied before passing through the filter or it could clog it.
bingo...i have ran oil through mine at 120* once but i was worried about a meltdown because it said on the side it was only rated for 110*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts