Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2008 with 102k miles, that will be used for towing. I'm new to the ford diseal. It is using "or leaking coolant" I can not find a leak. can a defective EGR valve cause it on this motor? What does the egr delete kit do exactly? will improve perforance or should I just install new OEM unit? I'm in Ga. where there is no inspections. My brother told me i was messing up buying a ford. I would love to prove him wrong.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
It is just my opinion but if you are going to replace the EGR anyway, never use a stock replacement. Delete it or use the Bullet proof system.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, thanks for the reply. What is a bullet proof system? Why not a new stock part? Are there performance gains with the delete kit? thanks, dale

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
don`t worry you will prove him wrong :icon_ford:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so. we are both mechanics. I'm a 20 year aircraft mech, and he manages a fleet of heavy trucks. he said i'll regret buying ford. :( I hope not. I just have to get smart on this and fix it cheaply and quickly. I wont hot rod the truck, but I'll pull a large boat, and 5th wheel. the truck must be dependable. thanks, dale

·
Registered
63 Posts
How fast is it losing coolant? The radiator and hose connections are pretty notorious for leaking and sometimes it is really hard to pinpoint that leak. At 102K I imagine that the radiator was probably already replaced with non defective one and had the "fix" applied. Ford has also updated the radiator hose design to fix the leaking issues.

Since you are out of warranty I would just delete the EGR but before throwing money at the problem you really need to figure out what exactly is causing the coolant level to drop.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
The bullet proof system retains all the functions of the factory EGR system keeping your truck legal. A delete gets rid of the whole system all together. Its not 100% legal but it will make the truck much more reliable.

Stock ones tend to fail internally allowing all sorts of bad issues to arise.

Doing a bullet proof or delete will vastly raise the reliability of the engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, thanks. Now. what about the more expensive one with the pipe vs the kit without? Once again, I apprecaite your knowledge. BTW. I drove the truck for 200 miles today. "not towing" and it didnt use any coolant. go figure.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It appears to be the original radiator. prior owner told me that he put radiator stop leak in. I can not find any leaks. but I have not pressure tested it yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, thanks. Now. what about the more expensive one with the pipe vs the kit without? Once again, I apprecaite your knowledge. BTW. I drove the truck for 200 miles today. "not towing" and it didnt use any coolant. go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts