Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken my truck to the Ford dealer 3 times for the same issue, coolant puking out the degas bottle. The first time, they replaced the bottle cap and said it was a bad cap. The second time they pressure tested it and said everything was fine, third time they replaced the backpressure sensor and said everything was good to go. Well I got my truck back and my bottle is completely dry with coolant all over my engine compartment again, I smell the coolant when I tow, or WOT, or simply climbing hills, coming through my AC vents. What is wrong? Why would they not replace an EGR cooler or figure out the problem after 3 tries? There doesn't seem to be any coolant in oil, no white smoke out exhaust, and the engine doesn't seem to be running hot.

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like you lifted a head. I been told if the coolant level is correct and it is puking most likely its blown head gaskets, if it blowing white smoke most likely its a blown EGR cooler

·
Premium Member
13,264 Posts
sounds like you lifted a head. I been told if the coolant level is correct and it is puking most likely its blown head gaskets, if it blowing white smoke most likely its a blown EGR cooler
:nod::nod: You need to go to a different dealer:thumb:

·
<-Day Of Fail now SOLD
3,393 Posts
I does sound like head gaskets. I feel you pain my coolant level keeps droping and I have know idea where it goes. Lucky for me its no coming out the degas. About a gallon a year. New cap, pressure tested, oil is nice and black not milky, pulled EGR valve looked inside nice and dry ect....

Sorry I can't help you. Where you located maybe a tech is in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright, I live in El Cajon, CA which is in san diego... .anyone know a dealer who can help me get this done under warranty? If I need my gaskets redone, I'd like to do the arp studs and egr delete, but I'm not sure how to approach that with the dealers in town. If I wanted to pay out of pocket for a tech I could take it to holtville and have john wood fix it up or to riverside, ca to diesel tech to fix it, but I would love to save the money by having the dealer do it because thats why I have my 100k warranty..

·
Premium Member
13,264 Posts
I would call all of the dealers around you and say your head gaskets are blown and you would like to put ARPs in. If they say no then call somewhere else.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can't imagine that any dealer is going to perform an EGR delete for you. They can be fined $BIGNUM for removing emissions devices.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Could I have a dealer put in studs then have someone else put in egr delete? Would that save me some money?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Could I have a dealer put in studs then have someone else put in egr delete? Would that save me some money?

There are dealerships who will install head studs, however they are far and few between. trouble is, studs are not a ford authorized repair for the 6.0. generally dealerships in smaller towns are more likely to perform a head stud install due to a more limited customer base that they must try to keep coming back. another thing to keep in mind is that most all dealers who replace head gaskets do not have the heads checked as ford will not pay. they tear, bolt and pray. if you offer to pay for a head inspection/pressure testing, flatness, etc. you'll sleep better at night.

also do not be mislead by the cure all head stud installation, i've had three this month that came in to be diagnosed for coolant puking, all three had a head stud installation and egr delete, all three had blown head gaskets :nod:

·
Registered
597 Posts
also do not be mislead by the cure all head stud installation, i've had three this month that came in to be diagnosed for coolant puking, all three had a head stud installation and egr delete, all three had blown head gaskets :nod:
Wow, I've heard that on rare occasions a studded truck wtih EGR delete can still pop hg's but 3 in a month at the same place??? Were they tuned and hauling 23k up Pikes Peak????

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Try Tuttle -Click in the OC. They did my my studs, and my motor replacement in Tucson, but the are also in Irvine, CA. I know it's not SD but it's closer that AZ.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok my last question: Is it ok to keep driving my truck with no coolant in the bottle? If I fill it with coolant it pukes out in my engine, when its empty it doesn't. Since the engine seems to not run hot, my guess is there is still coolant in the radiator but just not in the bottle? What would you guys do if you were me?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Wow, I've heard that on rare occasions a studded truck wtih EGR delete can still pop hg's but 3 in a month at the same place??? Were they tuned and hauling 23k up Pikes Peak????

we use our trucks up here LOL!
two trucks were from out of state, one was actually fire ringed:dunno: customer requested a combustion leak test so he could see the results, the results were that my tester shot the hood and broke when I let up on holding it in the degas bottle, pressure test while hot and running went up to 50 psi before I ran away:rofl: heavy foot, poor spam in a can tuning, oblivious nut behind the wheel all add up to bad things a brew'n.

·
Registered
597 Posts
oblivious nut behind the wheel all add up to bad things a brew'n.
Ah hah! Ok that makes more sense. Sure a studded one can blow if you got 50 psi, bad tuning, and an idiot behind the wheel towing something........ Usually though.. if you have a brain, and watch your guages, don't tow with the race tune, and have good maintenace, from what I've seen, the studded ones hold up pretty well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ah hah! Ok that makes more sense. Sure a studded one can blow if you got 50 psi, bad tuning, and an idiot behind the wheel towing something........ Usually though.. if you have a brain, and watch your guages, don't tow with the race tune, and have good maintenace, from what I've seen, the studded ones hold up pretty well.
Yes, there are those who dont have a clue what proper maint. is. last 6.0 in here was a referral from ford. had an 8k ats trans, many many other add ons and yet suffered from a lack of proper maintenence:dunno: i know of many more studded 6ers that are holding up without issue, i was grumpy yesterday i guess

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
another thing to keep in mind is that most all dealers who replace head gaskets do not have the heads checked as ford will not pay. QUOTE]

I was told by the service manager at the dealership I go to that Ford wont pay for it because they are supposed to put new ones on every time, they are not allowed to machine the heads at all....that may only be in a warranty work situation.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts