Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my stocker hubs is froze up and absolutley will not spin. It is stuck in the auto position. Is there any chance it would be stuck locked and one side of my axle is moving??? Seriously thinking about ditching them and getting some warn premium hubs from Stealth:thumb:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea ive tried penetrating lube and a channel locks a few times, no luck

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
put the front on jack stands and spin the wheels.. if they are locke dyou will see the front driveshaft spin.....
Right on, I'll try it in the morning. I just kinda have an itch to get those Warns.:thumb: Mine dont work worth a darn when I need them in the winter anyways. Or maybe Im making up excuses to get something new for the truck:nod:

·
Registered
154 Posts
i took mine off grabbed an ash tray and filled it with bp blaster so it was about 1/2inch deep. then i grabbed the gears and pulled them, when i did i accually got the oil to suck up in there. left it over night, put it back on and came loose really easy. i keep spraying graphite spray in them after that.

boots

·
Registered
375 Posts
I am new to this site and to powerstrokes, I have had my 02 4x4 for about two weeks now. I had the same problem, the hubs were stuck in lock and I tried pb blast for a few days and then finally put a pair of channellocks on them and ended up breaking the plastic turners. I called a local of road shop and he said there is no difference in the guts of the standard and premium hubs from warn, just the outer face. I went with the standards and it only took about 30 min. to install them and was a great mod. So I do not have shift on the fly 4x4 anymore because I lost the air engagement but at least I have piece of mind on knowing exactly what my front end is doing now. I am still wondering if I need to block off the the air lines to keep the vaccum system in check(going through a creek or something may be bad news?) but out in the field the 4x4 worked great. $200 well spent.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Right on, I'll try it in the morning. I just kinda have an itch to get those Warns.:thumb: Mine dont work worth a darn when I need them in the winter anyways. Or maybe Im making up excuses to get something new for the truck:nod:
I think the last sentence is the case.....

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
I think we've all been guilty of that...

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Nope, not me.

Oh wait, that is how I justified big oil and injectors to my wife.....:hehe:

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The ESOF system requires proper maintenance. With proper maintenance it isn't a bad system, yes it could be better. The folks who have problems have usually never done any maintenance on them ever!!! I have never had problems with mine and I can turn the hubs with two fingers, but again every oil change I spray some lube in there and work the hub and I inspect the vacuum lines.

Mr Grimm,
I am sorry to say this but "Somebody lied to you" regarding the standard and premium hubs. There is a huge difference. Go join any serious 4x4 forum and you will learn very quickly that the standard Warn hubs are garbage, while their premium hubs are considered one of the best hubs out there. Also stay away from MM hubs. I am rebuilding a 77 CJ5 and learned all this, so when it was time to replace my hubs I spent the $20 extra and got the premiums. Not trying to bust your bubble, but in case others read this thread I want them to know the truth. They make work fine for you, not sure how you use your truck.
Good Luck.
NCH

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just removed my factory ford crapper hubs and put some warns premiums on there. The big thing for me was the power loss and mpg loss that comes from having a hub locked in when you don't know it. In my case, one wouldn't disengage.

Anyway, I've got two factory ford hubs. One works, one doesn't. I'm sure we could strike a deal if you want them. Shoot me a pm. Honestly though, just get the warns....

Rob

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mr Grimm,
I am sorry to say this but "Somebody lied to you" regarding the standard and premium hubs. There is a huge difference. Go join any serious 4x4 forum and you will learn very quickly that the standard Warn hubs are garbage, while their premium hubs are considered one of the best hubs out there. Also stay away from MM hubs. I am rebuilding a 77 CJ5 and learned all this, so when it was time to replace my hubs I spent the $20 extra and got the premiums. Not trying to bust your bubble, but in case others read this thread I want them to know the truth. They make work fine for you, not sure how you use your truck.
Good Luck.
NCH
Hey I take no offense to that, but I can't believe the owner of that off-road shop (anonymous Cincinati area) would tell me that. Maybe because all the premiums sold out and he was trying to get rid of the standards! Oh well I rarely use 4wd and when I do it is pretty light.

·
Registered
131 Posts
the oem hubs are problematic at best...i would just go with the warn premiums. it's when you are in a bind and need them the most that the oem will fail on you and leave you in a bad spot. thing to watch out for on the warn hubs is the axle clips they give you with the kit...throw them away and keep the oem clips. the warn clips are half the thickness and much weaker, and they can pop off resulting in damage to the axle shaft, thrust washers, not to mention the hub assembly itself. i ended up having to replace an outer axle shaft because of it. warn came through though, and paid for the axle. just use the oem axle clips and you won't have any problems...been several thousand miles now and no more problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts