Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this piece of crap TTB front end is making all kinds of weird noises

Now less than 2 years ago this thing has had, new ball joints, put on warn premium hubs, new rotors, pads and caliper on drivers side.

So recently Ive noticed that when I make hard turns or go in reverse I get a very loud clicking sound from my front end. Any ideas on what that might be? ball joints again?

Then when I lock the hubs and engage 4x4 every revolution of the tire, halfway into the revolution I get a very loud creeking sound like some terrible sounding metal on metal sound to the point that I cant even lock my hubs cuase its so bad, what could that be?

Im so tired of this front end and if this is an expensive fix Im ripping it out and finding a Dana 60, Im sick of dumping money in this front end

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
102 Posts
i think we miiight have the same problem. the guy at my local tire shop said its in the hub either the bearing is shot or something came loose inside. mine happened quick though i heard the noise and as i was driving it got really bad. read my thread hub is done.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just put warn premium hubs in last year, I dont see how those could be shot but who knows

Ive already decided to take care of this whole TTB issue once and for all, pickin up a Dana 60 in two weeks

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
best thing you can do, im having one taken out of an old f350 tommorow, the ttb is so unreliable. Its a good axle design to use in a bronco where comfort takes prority over the stress the axle is seeing but for an f250 its just not practical to keep it.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah I agree, it seems to do ok in my 86 F-150 too but with this truck its been nothing but problems, ball joints, hubs, calipers, rotors you name it, and now I cant even use 4x4 and it clicks non stop so I said screw it this thing is coming out

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
i just picked up a used dana 60 from a local junkyard for 600 bucks, throw maybe a hundred more, put all new ball joints, u joints, bearings, etc in it and hopefully i will never have to worry about the front end again. Call your local junkyards, i know i called one said they had nothing, then i went to the actual yard since they let you walk around and pick parts, found one within 10 mins, they even removed the thing for me, gotta pick it up this week.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just picked up a used dana 60 from a local junkyard for 600 bucks, throw maybe a hundred more, put all new ball joints, u joints, bearings, etc in it and hopefully i will never have to worry about the front end again. Call your local junkyards, i know i called one said they had nothing, then i went to the actual yard since they let you walk around and pick parts, found one within 10 mins, they even removed the thing for me, gotta pick it up this week.
I already have a dana 60 lined up that Im buying off a guy at scheids, in perfect shape, just needs pads

Clunking could be tie rod ends. I get the same clunking on my 88 and its 2wd.
yeah I was thinking tie rods were a possibilty

·
Registered
101 Posts
is the dana 50 and dana 60 inter changable... like steering components are they the sam what else needs to be changed

·
Registered
322 Posts
I dont think it would be the ball joints you could always just jack the truck up and see if you can move the top and bottom of the wheel in and out, it could possibly be a bad u joint on one side that clunks making hard turns or when in 4 dig. Also does it have a sway bar up front? cause Ive seen the links break and make weird clunking noises around corners when the sway bar moves around.

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is the dana 50 and dana 60 inter changable... like steering components are they the sam what else needs to be changed
you need the steering parts from the dana 60 and trac bar and mount and u bolt plate for the drivers side. otherwise everything else bolts up

I dont think it would be the ball joints you could always just jack the truck up and see if you can move the top and bottom of the wheel in and out, it could possibly be a bad u joint on one side that clunks making hard turns or when in 4 dig. Also does it have a sway bar up front? cause Ive seen the links break and make weird clunking noises around corners when the sway bar moves around.
this is an old thread. lol but I still have the problems since I never put the d60 in. it doesnt have a sway bar

1 - 12 of 12 Posts