Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the front wheels are angles (virtically) slanted. its a 97 OBS. Is this just how they are or is something way out of wack or is a beating/U-joint blown?

·
Registered
234 Posts
more info 4x4,2x4, 3/4 ton ,1 ton?

·
Registered
234 Posts
start by checking the ball joints, to do this jack the truck up and get on your knees or your butt and put your hands on the top and bottom of tire and try to move it, if it moves then it probibly the ball joints if not it could be the springs wearing out or sagging which could cause the tires to tip in.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh actually when i did my guages (2 weeks ago) he did test my front end bearings by gerking the tire when its up in the air. there was no movement so i guess the bearings are good. any other ideas? its a 97 OBS 4x4

·
Registered
182 Posts
is it a 250 or 350? If it's a 250 it's more then likely just because of the TTB (Twin Traction Beam). If it's a 350 then that won't have an effect, because 350 has a solid front axle.

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
yeah the 250's had twin I beam and for what ever reason fords with this have been notorious for this positive camber (i think its positive does the top of the tire tip out or in). Its just something they do and funny enough they don't wear tires and different. you can check the ball joints by jacking it up a little bit, stick a prybar under the tire between the tire and the ground and pry up on the tire. There should be very very little to zero play (movement of the tire before the suspension moves up). if there is movement then its time for ball joints.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the passenger side is tipping out and the driver side looks good.

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
on fords the only way to adjust camber is to replace the ball joints...that may be something you'll need to do...check them on that side like i described above and let us know

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Negative camber is when the top of the tire is "in".

·
Nuckin' Futz
700 Posts
yeah cool thats what i thought....ha ha and im ASE certified in steering and suspension...i don't know if it was just late when i posted or if i need to be scared.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts