Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, looking for some fresh Ideas.

I Still have an oil leak. :doh:

The Valley is DRY. It's not coming from the back of the engine. It's coming from the front, in the oil cooler / LPOP area. I don't think the LPOP is bad as I have NO starting issues and the pressure is good, and it does not seem to make a difference whether it's running or not.

I'm losing maybe 1/2 quart for a couple thousand miles, so it's a SLOW leak. The oil that is coming down is very clean looking. (Fresh.) It's all the way down the front and makes it as far as the oil pan. Not covered, but there. :tard:

There is NO oil in my coolant. And I don not believe there is any coolant in my oil, as it is not overfilled and appears to be clean. (I will be sending out a sample to Blackstone before the end of the month.)

I need some ideas of specific things to check to locate this bugger. I have a 3,500 mile trip coming up in less than a month and can NOT afford to break down, let alone a whole winter of plowing coming up. :tard:

Thanks in advance, fellas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Fromt crank seal . Let it run awhile parked and look you will probally see a trail comong down front seal area . I replace mine in about 2 1/2 hours .
oil coolers are generally cold water type leaks . I replaced selas on mine couple years ago, about 2 1/2 hours also. I would do at time of oil change.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fromt crank seal . Let it run awhile parked and look you will probally see a trail comong down front seal area . I replace mine in about 2 1/2 hours .
oil coolers are generally cold water type leaks . I replaced selas on mine couple years ago, about 2 1/2 hours also. I would do at time of oil change.
Where exactly is that? What is needed to re-seal it?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Subscribed, I have a similar leak and would be interested in this aswell. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The oil pump is right behind the balancer puller . four bolts hold it on, it's tight on there as two dowel pins hold it in alignment. Theres a seal and a oring for the pump housing. if the back side of housing is worn much you will have to replace front cover. They make a tool for replace seal without removing pump also. I took mine off to look pump over.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The oil pump is right behind the balancer puller . four bolts hold it on, it's tight on there as two dowel pins hold it in alignment. Theres a seal and a oring for the pump housing. if the back side of housing is worn much you will have to replace front cover. They make a tool for replace seal without removing pump also. I took mine off to look pump over.
So what you are saying is you think it's the LPOP that's leaking?

·
Registered
163 Posts
So what you are saying is you think it's the LPOP that's leaking?
Try and get some of the oil thats already on there off and let it idle for awhile and just look up there you will see where it's coming from. I have done replaced oil cooler gaskets and orings and front seal on one of mine. I has 450,000 on it and who knows how many idling hours. as long as it's not the front cover it can be done inframe. My bet is front seal just let it run and look you can't drive and look let it idle it should start within 30 minutes.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just for reference, I have some pics of the suspected "leak area."

The first 2 pics were taken 7/25 after wiping it down, it was caked on and COVERED before I wiped it down.

The other pics were taken today, right before I went for a ride. Still NO oil drips on the garage floor, which my thinking pushing me more towards oil cooler.

I think I will rebuild the cooler, if for no other reason than the be on the "safe side" of things. I will order it tomorrow from Guzzle.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thats the oil cooler flange. it has two metal gasket for the flanges and four orings for the cooler. two orange and two green you have to watch how they come off ones for oil and other is for antifreeze. Make sure and remove filter and drain radiator before doint it. If the front seal was leaking it would be right down in center of pulley.but that don't lok like no half qaurt of oil leak in a thousand miles. If you lossing that much I'd look elsewhere. A half qaurt leak should be leaving a spot on the ground at some point in time. You pposted more pictures looks like cooler
flange to me. You should be able to watch that one seep while it runs. May have to lay there a minute.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the oil cooler flange. it has two metal gasket for the flanges and four orings for the cooler. two orange and two green you have to watch how they come off ones for oil and other is for antifreeze. Make sure and remove filter and drain radiator before doint it. If the front seal was leaking it would be right down in center of pulley.but that don't lok like no half qaurt of oil leak in a thousand miles. If you lossing that much I'd look elsewhere. A half qaurt leak should be leaving a spot on the ground at some point in time. You pposted more pictures looks like cooler
flange to me. You should be able to watch that one seep while it runs. May have to lay there a minute.
So you saying you DO think it's the oil cooler? Sounds like you say it's the flange... but then say look elsewhere... lol. :dunno:

I'm doing a oil change, coolant flush, 203* TS and Billet Housing in another week or so, and I plan to do it all at the same time. Only thing I need to order now is the oil cooler gaskets.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So you saying you DO think it's the oil cooler? Sounds like you say it's the flange... but then say look elsewhere... lol. :dunno:

I'm doing a oil change, coolant flush, 203* TS and Billet Housing in another week or so, and I plan to do it all at the same time. Only thing I need to order now is the oil cooler gaskets.
The first pictures looked only like seepage, the last two show a oil drop and it looks like the cooler flange more than likely. To make sure if you get under front with truck running if you watch long enough you can verify cause a drop will probally start to form. I would just reseal my existing cooler if it was mine. all you do is take ends of and replace orings and flange gaskets. I don't put any add-ons on my truck maybe thats why it has 450,000 on it. The main trrucks that have problems are those that have been chipped up and other non factory mods done. Make sure and get you some of the ford coolant additive when you flush the cooling system as electralisyis can pit the block al the way through over time.

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The first pictures looked only like seepage, the last two show a oil drop and it looks like the cooler flange more than likely. To make sure if you get under front with truck running if you watch long enough you can verify cause a drop will probally start to form. I would just reseal my existing cooler if it was mine. all you do is take ends of and replace orings and flange gaskets. I don't put any add-ons on my truck maybe thats why it has 450,000 on it. The main trrucks that have problems are those that have been chipped up and other non factory mods done. Make sure and get you some of the ford coolant additive when you flush the cooling system as electralisyis can pit the block al the way through over time.
Thanks for the help/feedback. I am going to use ELC, so no additives. The soon as funds permit I'll be adding a coolant filter, as well. :thumb:

Mine only has 98,000 on it, but It's had a hard life, living in New England Winters(Salt) since new. I'm taking the best care of her I can. :nod:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts