Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost the right front lower shock mounting bolt a couple of days ago, now I know I checked-tightened those about 2 months ago when I was looking for a front end clunk. Yes it was OEM and I know it has a self locking nut on it. I pulled the left side and found more than normal wear on the shank of the bolt where the shock rides on it. That leads me to believe the nut did not back off but the bolt wore to a point where it broke and fell out.

Anybody else notice abnormal wear on there bolts?:dunno:

·
Registered
295 Posts
if the bolt wasnt grade 8, or someone else had changed it before then it would seem possible. To safeguard yourself you may look into getting a bolt 1/4" longer and drilling it for a cotter pin and crown nut. I hope you get this figured out, Good luck!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got new Grade 8 bolts with nylock nuts and spring lock washers. They were original I'm the only owner of the truck, I changed those shocks 25k miles ago. With my background in Aircraft Maintenance I tend to be very picky about hardware and would have noticed wear like that. What I also noticed is the threaded part of the bolt is bigger than the shank, and allows movement.

BTW Nice butt in the avitar, man i've slayed a bunch of those.

·
Registered
164 Posts
BTW Greg I took your advice and ordered up the sway bar bushing kit and also the track bar bushings. I will check the shock bolts tomorrow.
Thanks for the pm

snoboy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts