Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 3" Shackle and Hanger lift on my truck. I just bought some pretty nice wheels and 315/75R16's at a steal from a guy here locally. I have a slight rub on the inner fender when the wheel is turned to lock on the left side.

I was wondering how safe it would be to run a 3/4"-1" solid iron flat lift block to get a little more clearance on the front end. It's really no different than the mini-pack lift kits as far as stability, and most of those are a full 2.5". Just wanted to get some opinions or experiences from you guys.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Ok, I have a 3" Shackle and Hanger lift on my truck. I just bought some pretty nice wheels and 315/75R16's at a steal from a guy here locally. I have a slight rub on the inner fender when the wheel is turned to lock on the left side.

I was wondering how safe it would be to run a 3/4"-1" solid iron flat lift block to get a little more clearance on the front end. It's really no different than the mini-pack lift kits as far as stability, and most of those are a full 2.5". Just wanted to get some opinions or experiences from you guys.

Blocks in the front==VERY VERY DANGEROUS

There a bad idea, at least from what i understand:thumb:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Blocks in the front==VERY VERY DANGEROUS

There a bad idea, at least from what i understand:thumb:
I have heard that but no one has said why. Could some one take time to explain or point me in the direction of a link or post?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
well if you got a longer center pin drilled a hole in the new plate and made them part of the pack i dont think it would be a problem.....just be part of the leaf pack now :thumb:

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
They are VERY BAD,...because of the camber/caster angle.....and the flex the front end is under when turning...they have a VERY good chance of "spitting" a block.....

It is INCREDIBLY UNSAFE!!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
They are VERY BAD,...because of the camber/caster angle.....and the flex the front end is under when turning...they have a VERY good chance of "spitting" a block.....

It is INCREDIBLY UNSAFE!!!
Thanks, that explains it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
So it wouldn't work if he located a pair of the rear overload spring there about a inch thick in the middle ...cut them to size about 4 inches get longer center pins take out old center pins put the new piece install new center pins wouldn't that just make it part of the leaf pack and be safe?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So it wouldn't work if he located a pair of the rear overload spring there about a inch thick in the middle ...cut them to size about 4 inches get longer center pins take out old center pins put the new piece install new center pins wouldn't that just make it part of the leaf pack and be safe?
That's what I was getting at. I was looking to machine something solid, and add it to the pack. Just like these mini-packs I keep seeing that are only a bunch of 1/4" flat bar welded together. I would be doing the same basic thing, only at 1" instead of 2.5".

I work in engineering, and understand the safety factor, and am in no way trying to run more than a 1" adder on the front pack. I also know that "Billet" steel alloy is the only way to go to avoid stress fractures common with cast iron. I have always heard that bad things "could" happen with front blocks. I've just never heard an actual story to prove the theory.

·
Banned
3,445 Posts
If your doing that much fabricating,..then you can't call them blocks,...you are adding to the spring pack. thats not the best way,...because of spring rates,...but as long as you use hardened steel bolts, and maybe something to keep the blocks from spinning you'll be ok.

I was more commenting on putting "blocks" up front....THAT is a no-no

·
OperationSmile.org
2,011 Posts
I have seen blocks pop out of their position on the front springs. The mini packs are nothing but metal welded together and a new pin put thru them. I think what you are planning will be fine just make sure its not going to sping freely

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If your doing that much fabricating,..then you can't call them blocks,...you are adding to the spring pack. thats not the best way,...because of spring rates,...but as long as you use hardened steel bolts, and maybe something to keep the blocks from spinning you'll be ok.

I was more commenting on putting "blocks" up front....THAT is a no-no
If the piece I add to the pack is the same dimensions as the pad on the axle, it shouldn't affect spring rate at all, right? That was just my thinking. I would like to just buy a 4" kit and put on it, but that would require reinstalling all of the stock hardware, and spending more money on top of what I already spent. I think with an additional 1/2" I would get rid of my rubbing problem, and not have to alter things too much. I've read that you can go up 3.5" without a trac bar bracket, or new shocks. Although I plan to get both replaced in the near future.

I think the plan has shifted to welding 2 pieces of 1/4" plate together, and punching a hole to allow a center pin to pass through it and the leaf pack. If I didn't have aftermarket wheels with so much offset, I wouldn't have this problem, I'm just trying to deal with what I have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts