Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to ask a similar question that I have seen here before. I have a late '99 4wd F-250 and know of the common problem they have with front bearings and since they are sealed most will just replace the hub assembly. I have 93,000mi and am running 35" tires on my original hubs/bearings with no problem but am going to go ahead and replace them for the sake of preventive maintenance because it will happen (go bad) when I am out of town or something. Question is I have looked on ebay and have seen them sold as sets for $230 to $400 plus. They all have a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty. Would you trust these? They use the same manufacturer part # but under different names...i.e. GMB, Autoparts International, etc......none I have heard of. Just don't want cheap but also don't want to spend more for the exact same thing. Anyone have thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc? Thanks!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
good ones cost around 630 bucks. each...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ouch! even the premium NAPA hubs with my discount are $360.14 each and I thought that was expensive!

·
I am that hot
1,762 Posts
Mine were over 300 a piece and since they came off when doing ball joints whats the sense in putting old ones back on... I just replaced them from napa, odd thing is i dont have front abs so i think they were even pricier.

·
Super Moderator
31,733 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fleastang,

Spend the extra dough on quality parts; save money by learning to do it yourself. :thumb:
That is what i was thinking of doing. Would you go the NAPA route vs. the Timken bearing hubs on ebay? I wonder if the NAPA versions are essentually Timken bearing hubs in a NAPA box? And whichever route I take it will definately be done at home. So far, from the wicked wheel install to all the other mods, I have been able to complete all them with no problem. Paying someone to do my mechanicing is something I have yet to do and this particular job looks alot simpler than pulling the turbo, etc. Thanks for the help!!:thumb:
P.S. And the Dynatrac just isn't in my budget for now!

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Ok the wheelbearings I use and recommend. Are from 1A Auto: Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Parts, Replacement Auto Body Parts, Truck Parts You can get a pair for 379.00 shipped to your door. Now I run these bearings, I have put these on other vehicles, I trust them. You get a 2 year warranty. You get free shipping. I have over 70,000 miles on mine and they are still good. My factory wheelbearings lasted about 120,000 miles.

I also strongly recommend you replace them in pairs. Why well if one is bad how much longer do you think the other one will last.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Guys,

Hi-jack here,

The little ridges that are on the ball joint side of the knuckle seal what are they for?? And if they become detached (mine are just floping around the short shaft joint) is that an issue?? I'm replacing the drivers side bearing and all was dry and rust free insde the knuckle..
And I don't want to replace the seal unless i have to (I've been told it's a beiatch to replace).:dunno:

JOE

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I am interested in this as well as I have 137k on my truck and am pretty sure im gonna have to do this my self soon as my truck is starting to feather the tires in strange and wondrous ways.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok the wheelbearings I use and recommend. Are from 1A Auto: Aftermarket Auto Parts, Car Parts, Replacement Auto Body Parts, Truck Parts You can get a pair for 379.00 shipped to your door. Now I run these bearings, I have put these on other vehicles, I trust them. You get a 2 year warranty. You get free shipping. I have over 70,000 miles on mine and they are still good. My factory wheelbearings lasted about 120,000 miles.

I also strongly recommend you replace them in pairs. Why well if one is bad how much longer do you think the other one will last.
I agree, fortunately mine are still okay but at almost 100k and 10 years I am considering it as a preventive maintenance thing. I will definately look at your link and may go that route. Ford does not make their hubs and I would suspect theirs may be nothing more than timken bearing hubs at a high price. Your mileage and experience with your hubs has me probably ordering some today. Thanks for the info!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bigcountrysg said:

I decided to try them out. Will let you know how they do as I put the miles on them. They are the only ones offering a 2 year warranty vs most who offer 1 year. Anyway for my late '99 with 4wd and rear ABS the price for a pair shipped was:
[1ASHS00024] Ford F250SD Pickup Truck Wheel Bearing and Hub Assembly Pair (w/4WD w/SRW w/Rear Wheel ABS (from prod date 3/22/99)) Front 1999 : 1 : $294.95

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My driver front hub decided to giveout with only 66000 miles.....I've ordered a pair of hubs from 1aAuto. We'll see how long they last.

·
Registered
674 Posts
i just replaced both of mine this past week. retail through napa was like $5 or $600!! luckily a friend of mine owns a shop. new seals u-joints and both hub assemblies was like $850ish when all was said and done. it's really not a hard job. you just need the seal pusher tool to get the seals on the axles and in the housing. And my truck is an '02 with 73K miles on it. both bearing races were blown out the back with burnt nasty grease!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts