Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start the truck today after repainting it and I look back to see fuel squirting up in the air. Of course the bed is off so everything is visible. The left line where it goes into the tank is where it is leaking. My question is what do I need to replace? The whole unit, or just the top piece where the lines connect? And also a good place to get the parts. Thanks for any help in advance!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
You will need to replace the complete unit. Try rockauto, RockAuto Parts Catalog they have motorcraft sending units.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need to replace the complete unit. Try rockauto, RockAuto Parts Catalog they have motorcraft sending units.
I looked there but I am thinking that they actually don't have the one I need. The front tank is 19 gallons isn't it?

ditto..

stupid question, how was it taking the bed off? i have to do mine soon for a couple repairs.
It wasn't to bad. My bed bolts were so rusted that we just used a torch to burn or cut them off. Then we proceeded to lift the bed off using a bunch of chain and a front end loader.

·
Registered
496 Posts
front tank is 17 - rear is 19.. im pretty sure anyway..

EDIT - and i THINK the sending units are the same... but im not 100% on that either

·
Registered
496 Posts
I looked there but I am thinking that they actually don't have the one I need. The front tank is 19 gallons isn't it?

It wasn't to bad. My bed bolts were so rusted that we just used a torch to burn or cut them off. Then we proceeded to lift the bed off using a bunch of chain and a front end loader.
all the bolts are removed from under the truck right? would i need to remove my bedliner?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all the bolts are removed from under the truck right? would i need to remove my bedliner?
Yes. There are six carriage bolts. You also need to take the two hose clamps off the filler necks on the tanks in order for them to drop down, along with the three small bolts holding the filler neck to the inside of the fuel door. I would recommend taking the bed liner out in case you would have to take the carriage bolt out of the hole for any reason.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Those sending units are insanely expensive. Somewhere around $400. I used a repair kit from NAPA in conjuntion with a bit of JB weld to do mine. 2 years and it hasn't leaked. As for the bed, figure on soaking the nuts a good while. I had to torch mine, but the bolts off of the junk bed (florida truck) came off easily. It's really iffy as to how to get them out. Put an impact on them, and the heads will spin in the bed after a while. But, the same thing occurs if you pull too hard on a breaker bar.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those sending units are insanely expensive. Somewhere around $400. I used a repair kit from NAPA in conjuntion with a bit of JB weld to do mine. 2 years and it hasn't leaked. As for the bed, figure on soaking the nuts a good while. I had to torch mine, but the bolts off of the junk bed (florida truck) came off easily. It's really iffy as to how to get them out. Put an impact on them, and the heads will spin in the bed after a while. But, the same thing occurs if you pull too hard on a breaker bar.
Was yours leaking in the same spot as mine? Which was where the line goes in the tank. I was also just thinking about soldering it. Not sure how that would work though.

·
Registered
537 Posts
It was leaking where the return line goes into the sending unit. I don't think you could solder it, both pieces are steel. It's possible that you could weld it, but that's a lot of heat up next to that electrical equipment. On mine, the elbow that comes out of the tank actually broke all the way off. The repair kit has a new elbow that is sized to slip into the pipe (pickup or return) of the sending unit. I simply took a drill bit to clean it up, then cleaned both surfaces well, and slipped the elbow in with a coating of JB Weld. Then I coated all around it, and it hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Judging by the pick its a plastic tank, and if Im correct they are the 23 gallon tanks. Very hard to find a sending unit for one. Mine is screwed up too and haven't used my front tank for a couple years now cause of that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was leaking where the return line goes into the sending unit. I don't think you could solder it, both pieces are steel. It's possible that you could weld it, but that's a lot of heat up next to that electrical equipment. On mine, the elbow that comes out of the tank actually broke all the way off. The repair kit has a new elbow that is sized to slip into the pipe (pickup or return) of the sending unit. I simply took a drill bit to clean it up, then cleaned both surfaces well, and slipped the elbow in with a coating of JB Weld. Then I coated all around it, and it hasn't leaked since.
Similar situation here only mine aren't completely rusted off. I looked into it today when I got home and it appears that there is a crack in the pickup elbow, and the crack is about a quarter inch long. I think that what I will do is clean up the lines a little bit with a dremel and put the JB weld to it. Also bondo was recommended to me as something to use after the JB weld was in place. I probably won't get to this until later in the week if even this week. I'll post a picture of my outcome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts