Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened 3 times now in the last 3 months. The first time was about 3 months ago, thought it was a fluke thing. Just happened twice on the way to work today (45 miles). I'm driving along on expressway (70mph), small bump, dip, or whatever it was, the front end goes crazy, shimmying, alomst jerking the wheel outta my hand, scary feeling, lasts about 5-10 seconds at most (felt like an hour!). The only way I can describe it is if you've ever pulled a little singe axle utility trailer that was empty, hit a bump and watched it sway and shimmy til it caught itself and straightened back out. Of the 3 times total it's happened, once, I tried braking, the other times I just let off and coasted through it, didn't seem to make a difference either way. Also the first time it happened, I might have been slightly braking when it started doing it, can't remember for sure. When I got here today, pulled it up on a rack and checked everything out, everything seems tight with all the tie rods, track bars, sway bar, lug bolts, etc. the only thing I found was on my front pass. side, I'm missing the lead balancing weight off of the edge of the rim. I don't know if just that would make it act like that. Could my steering stabilizer shock be weak or bad. I put a new one on when I put the lift on over a year ago. I've never had a problem til recently. Sorry for the long post, but I'm hoping it doesn't jar my teeth out if it does it again tonight on the way home.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
sounds like bumpsteer. pretty dangerous.

Worn suspension part somewhere.

Might be something else though, but what I dont know

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Mine does the exact same thing, i took it to ford but they say that everything is good on the front end.. i was thinking i needed a track bar drop bracket because the front axle is shifted to the drivers side. i just put the steering stabilizer on about two months ago so i know thats still good.. so hopefully someone will have the solution to this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I have a very similar issue, but I thought it was caused by the fact i have a leveling kit, thus throwing caster too far out of wack or something. I have an '05 I bought it brand new in 2005. I had the leveling kit installed at the factory but never has issues until the past 2-3 months. I am even seeing some uneven wear on the outside of my front passenger tire. I am getting ready to install a new lift, with a track bar bracket, new pitman arm, sway bar links, etc. Will see if some of the issue is corrected then. As I will also get a total balance, alignment, etc done once finished as new wheels and tires are also going on. will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I read on a cummins forum once that the "death shake" is caused by a caster angle problem(not camber)... Mine does this too... But how do we get this fixed??????? How do i explain to an alignment guy to get this fixed???? I have had mine aligned and he said everything was perfect after my lift??

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Have ya noticed all of us with problems are 05+ with atleast a leveling kit? Thats a start that it has only a cetain few trucks

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
The 05's and above went to the coil springs and mine used to do this stock, even before the leveling kit and after market wheels and tires. I had heard that the leveling kit will shift your axle since the track bar is still in the same location, but when I measured my tires against the frame rail, it was 10.5" (IIRC) on each side. I have considered a 2" block to drop my track bar or even an adjustable track bar, but not sure if that will fix it since my axles don't appear to have shifted and my tires are wearing evenly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I feel better that I'm not the only one, I was worried that you guys weren't going to know what I was talking about. I have a lifetime warranty on my alignment, so I'm going to take it back and see if they find something I missed. Does anyone know anything about the beads you put inside of your tires to balance them? I used to work with a guy that used "air soft" pellets, but he didn't tell me how to figure out how much to use....just grasping at straws.

·
Registered
179 Posts
A different vehicle i owned years ago had the same syptoms with front coil springs and it was a broken and loose front shock mount.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I just went through this with my '05. It has a fabtech 6" lift. I took it to four wheel parts unlimited. Willy P works there now and the tech was very knowledgable. The track bar had to be replaced (I tried replacing just the bushing__no good). The caster has to be set between 3-5 degrees positive. The pitman arm nut has to be torqued to 350 lb/ft(common problem) and the track bar bolt has to be torqued to 400 lb/ft. I have new shocks on my dual stabilizer as well as my stock stabilizer. After all this work everything is great.

·
Premium Member
19,112 Posts
Good deal, Tony. Glad you finally got it fixed. I remember you telling me about that when you bought your tires just before DITD 2007.

Oh and I think you are referring to the Centramatic tire balancer, but you don't actually put beads in your tires. ITP Diesel sells them and is an ORG vendor.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Im getting ready to put a bigger sway bar and dual steering stabilizer, so maybe this will help out.. where can i get a track bar relocation bracket, and can you use it with the stock track bar?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going broke driving my truck back and forth to work, trying to make it do it again. It hasn't done it again. I will say that it feels bouncy, moreso than usual. I'm going to install a new steering stabilizer. The Rancho lift came with the track bar drop down bracket, so I don't think that's it, mainly because why wouldn't it have done it in the first year. I lifted the front end off of the ground, letting the front axle hang free, and nothing is loose or not as it should be. I do have 10 more psi of air in my tires, have done that since the winter, but maybe where its warming up, the tires get hotter and psi increase even more? Just grasping at straws...

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
FYI, after installing my lift (which included the drop pitman arm, track bar drop bracket, and swaybar drops, my death shimmy is no more. This also had radius arm drops so my caster should be near where it would be from the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
shimmy

My truck was lifted already 5.5 since new, I bought it from the dealer that way. My drop pitman arm gave me trouble from the start, the dealer tightened it down and it was fine till lately. The only problem is,:dunno: that when they tightened it down they totally destroyed the treads from the steering box I guess so the bolt would never back off. The geometry of the steering is just like the factory with my lift. So I will take the tsb to them as I usually do and ask them to correct the problem. In a way it seems I am nitpicking on some of the stuff I take to them but, if you drop that much cash on somthing it should be OK to bring it to there attention that is what warranty is for .

·
Registered
20 Posts
mine was also a dealer lift from new. it took 40k to happen. pot hole on a freeway. from balance to aligment all check out. it was loose track bar after all. on 08 the steering stabilizer is a bigger shock. not a fan of dual steering stabilizers. pro comp make a stiffer om replacement.

with power steering and big tires, any bump will pull on the steering some. i think a stronger stabilizer is needed because of angle. most guys just put on duals for most truck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Any definative solutions yet. I have a 2005 CC LB 6.0L. Same dang problem. I now have a leveling kit but it would shake and shimmy when it was stock...........as soon as i HIT a bump in the road it would do it. No where near as bad as shaking the wheel out of my hand but bad enough to notice. It drives me crazy. The guy that put my leveling kit on stated everything looks good and tight. BS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Still looking for a definitive solution to this. I am moving soon and need to get this fixed and don't have the cash to start doing a bunch of trouble shooting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts