Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '03 that has developed a rattle that I thought was ball joints. I tried jacking and pulling top and bottom of both tires, no movement. I then tried prying up on the tire while jacked, no movement. Nothing appears loose, all sway bar bushings look intacked, track bar is solid. I'm not saying it's not any of these items but I don't know how to check them properly. Also can the leaf springs make noise? I did notice that the front half of the leaf ahead of the axel has no seperator/insulator and if hit with a medium dead blow it will rattle against the upper leaf. Any advice is welcomed. I already have the Powerstrokeshop ball joint kit on hand but dont want to replace them yet if that's not my rattle (I'll be paying someone to R&R them).
Also, this rattle is not cyclical or turning related, speed is not related. It sounds (to me) like ball joints rattling in their sockets. I also think it sounds like a shot upper sway bar link. It also makes me imagine leaf spring slap. These are the what I imagine while I'm driving down the road because it eminates through the floorboardsjust figured I'd get somekind of movement with bad ball joints. Hopefully these descriptions help. Thanks

snoboy

·
Registered
905 Posts
mine was making a noise in the front too. i thought it was my shocks at first. but it ended up being sway bar bushings. the old bushings looked fin when i replaced them too. but it fixed my problem. just an idea.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
Ball Joints and Shocks fixed mine

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
could be end links as well, those bushings go bad and make a rattle sound

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
My vote is for your sway bar end-links, notorious for going out and rattling.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all the responses. Is there a viable method to check the swaybar links before buying and replacing the parts?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you guys using OEM forsway bar links or is there a good aftermarket product? Also are you replacing the whole link or just the bushings?

·
Registered
905 Posts
i just got mine at napa. and i had no choice, i had to replace the whole thing .

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
im going with sway bar bushings too..my 04 did that and i thought it was the shocks so i put new ones on and it still did it..so i got new bushings and the plus was i had new shocks :hehe:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went ahead and ordered the Rancho XLs. I talked with the tech at Rancho and he gave me decent enough pitch to convince me that the new Xtra Large shocks were an improvement over the older ones to try them again. At least I already have the remote kit installed so all I have to do is swap shocks and screw the fitting on. I think I'll spray a little LPS in the piston before I install the air fittings. I also have an entire Energy Suspensions sway bar bushing kit and track bar bushing kit on the way. So once I do all this the only thing left is ball joints (already got the kit). I am still considering leaf spring bushings but I think they still have some miles left on them. I will take some pics. during install and post results.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Did you get this done yet?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, see my posts on sway bar bushing install and Rancho RS9000XL install. Both with pics.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts