Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 1996 F-350 4x4 that is on a 4" lift kit that I believe might be home made. I bought the truck three years ago March and a new axle was put on the front the Feb. before. It is a straight one ton axle with the leafs and spacers up front. Shortly after buying the truck I noticed it had a slight twist in it. After that I started hearing a bushing on the front driver leaf squeaking. I started looking for a reason for both the noise and the twist and found that the driver side(on the Front) was low about 2". After finding that out I started to notice that when Id turn into a parking lot with slightly higher incline that it would start popping. It would only pop going to the left at first then adventually started doing it to the right.

Coming to that first winter I noticed that I only had four wheel drive when the wheels was torqued to the left. If I turned them to the right they would stop pulling. I started looking at some reason why it wasnt working properly and turns out that when they put the new axle on they also through a lift kit together and when they did the front drive shaft was to short and they took out a spacer on the drive side to compensate for the shaft. So that meant that the four wheel drive would work one direction and not the other. And that was also the reason for the twist.

Now that Ive told the problem I need some info or advice. Ive never worked on the front-end of a truck. My questions are:

1.) How much would you recommend to extend the front drive shaft on a F-350 regular cad 4x4 on a 4" lift with a long bed?

2.) Does the drive shaft have to be rebalenced afterwards?

3.) What could be causing the front-end to pop when turning?

Thank you ahead of time for the info and advice.
Ashley
Terry farms

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
some pictures of the front end would be nice. as for the drive shaft length, on a 4" lift it shouldnt need to be lengthened

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The drive shaft is to short for some reason and I know Ive been told that it shouldnt need to lenghtend but it falls in and out.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
you mentioned a new axle, was the truck a 250 or 350?
on your earlier question about lengthening the shaft. any competent shop can do it. Or you can order a new from tom woods www.4xshaft.com for usually about 300 bucks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a machine shop with all the equipment to do the lenghting I was just wondering how much would be recommended and if it had to be re-balanced afterwards. The truck says its a F-350 but the vin number is a 250 number. Why would that be that way. It is a one ton axle and has leafs. The only thing that I could think it coould be is that the regular cab single rear wheel trucks have a 3/4 vin but are a 1 ton. Never made much sense to me but maybe you guys will understand. And looking at it and other lifts it might be a 5" or even a 6" lift. It is deffintly a home made lift though. The truck popped pretty loud today going over the railroad tracks real easy. It hasnt done that yet. But it is getting more freqent and louder.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
its possible, and probably that someone swapped a dana 60 under the truck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All I know is that it rides like a ton, pulls like a ton, and hauls like a ton. All the parts that I buy for the truck are for a one ton. I know that alot of the 250's of that year are not as beefy and have the independant suspension. This truck is a rock solid truck and when it comes to the logo it is built ford tough. I like it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
If its got lift blocks on the front axle, thats a big no-no. As far as the popping goes, check all the shackle bushings and ball joints. Call a driveline shop and find out how they measure for them. The last one I had built, the shop had me measure from the end of the output shaft to the center of Ujoint on yoke. I gave them that measurement and the shaft they built fit perfect.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
is the track bar bracket tight at the cross member? and the difference between the 250 and 350 is the front axle, nothing more. i did the solid axle swap when i had my 96. the rest of the parts are the same. the swap is also very easy to do, and a bolt in swap at that

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not sure exactally what you mean by the track bar bracket. If you could tell me where it was I might be able to further check some stuff out. Ive never had to work on the front end of a truck with a lift on it. The only thing I ever did was put new ball joints on a s-10 my dad had.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
the track bar is a bar that goes from the passenger side of the axle to the crossmember under the oil pan.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts