Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I put the truck in auto 4x4 and the front end clunks and will not lock in. Lock the hubs and no problem. A couple weeks later I notice the left front hub/brake starts squealing until i am firm on the brakes. This weekend I notice while hard turning into a parking spot, I feel two bumps coming from the front left tire. I am assuming I have a hub bearing going out and lock the hubs, but leave the t-case in 2x( found this idea by searching the forums). The squealing did not stop until after about 10 miles of town driving, and it is still intermittent.

Truck now has about 127k on it. I have put 15k on it since Nov. when I bought it. Any ideas as to whether it is indeed a hub or possibly brakes and another unrelated issue?

Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
295 Posts
it could be a bearing/seal/knuckle issue. See if you can put the truck in neutral, get all the tires off the ground and turn your problem tire to see if you can repeat the problem, that way you know where it is coming from.

good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
front end prob

I could only get the front off the ground, but I did find out the squeal is definitely from the front right. Here is what I can tell:

1. With no tire on, there is no squeal when you turn the hub, in locked or unlocked
2. With the tire on, it squeals, locked or unlocked.
3. Either way, when I turn the wheel it sounds like a large rubber bounce ball inside the hub/axle bouncing around. (If you can imagine that)

I am going to take it to a local shop in the morning to try to get a diagnosis. Any questions I need to be sure to ask so I don't get taken by Billy Bob tryin to hunt down a squeek?

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
let him know you know where its coming from but you dont know what it is. Ask him for a quote and if you feel up to changing it, the part number should be on the quote. If you dont want to fix it then you should be good to have the shop fix it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts