Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2001 F250 SD 4x4 crewcab w/HD springs 90K miles

im getting a growling noise from the front end... it sounds like im driving on a road thats been groved.. but its not enough to really vibrate the truck. the front end does seem to raise just slightly when the noise goes away

however.. it comes and goes when i hit a bump or a crack in the road

hit a bump, shows up, hit the next bump, goes away....

im sure its the front end, the coming and going is timed with the front tires. at one time i thought hitting a bump with one tire was more opt to cause this than the other, but thats not really the case all the time.

if im pulling my trailer, i dont hear it.

i had the dealer take a peek at it when they changed the oil.. (they wanted $60 to "look") they saw nothing wrong.

i jacked up the front end and everything looks/felt tight, i had the front end redone at 46,0000. ball joints were getting lose

thanks
joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
playing with signiture.... maybe....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Kinda sounds like a wheel bearing,

·
Registered
383 Posts
Try turning the hubs in to see if it goes away, if it goes away then I think its not the wheel bearing . Its the inner spindle bearing. not sure if that the name for it. But its somthing like that.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yea, I've actually been having the same problem, not as severe though. Once it starts up, it isn't constant..seems like once a rotation or maybe multiple rotations. I think tree killer was talking about the outer axle shaft seal. Which sort of acts as a bearing inside the steering knuckle. I originally thought it was that and even went ahead and replaced it when I did the balls joints. It improved, but not 100%

I'm half tempted to just pay up the cash and get all new after market axle shafts, seals, ball joints, gromets, steering knuckle, tie rod ends...I think you get the point just because I've been hearing this is the "weakest" link when it comes to our PSD's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll do some swerving when i drive into town tomarrow am.. see what happens..

im just not ready to drop $500+ dollars to see what might be wrong

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yea I hear ya... Not into "replace everything until it works" troubleshooting myself, just something I'm working on anyways so it may just speed up the process if I can't figure out what it is

1 - 8 of 8 Posts