Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of days ago a noticed that when I get up to speed (30+) and come back down to a stop, my front end grinds constantly with speed. It gets worse when I brake (more weight on the front end) and softer when I accelerate (less weight on the front end). It's also bad when I reverse (more weight on the front end). I am assuming my front wheel bearing(s) are going out. I already know from a mechanics paperwork that was given to me when I bought the truck that my ball joints have too much play to properly align the front end. Am I most likely looking at a front end rebuild (bearings and ball joints)? How much might all that cost me (doing it myself) out the door? What about at a shop?

Thanks for all the information guys.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump! Anyone?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the front ball joints (they needed it) along with the front bearings, u-joints, needle bearings, and flushed the front diff. After driving for a while and things get loosened up, the front end still grinds when I hit the brakes or go in reverse. It seems to grind any time there is a down force on the front end. What else is up front that would be doing this that hasn't been replaced?

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
calipers might be shot and sticking? are the brake dust sheilds bent and rubing anything? are you sure its the front end and not in the engine compartment?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brakes and rotors look real good. The pads and rotors were just replaced 4000 miles/9 months ago by the previous owner. Here's what I found out in some testing just now:

The grinding appears to be independent of motion. I can stomp on the brakes in the parking lot and come to a complete stop and during the remaining bounce or two (of the front end), it still grinds on the "down stroke". If I do the same 'test' with wheels turned (to get one corner to dip at a time), it indicates that this is only happening on the drivers side. If I put it in neutral and turn the truck off and then stop, I can't seem to get it to do it. When going highway speeds, it does the noise constantly but is worse when I hit a bump (and compress the suspension). This is really baffling me...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: When sitting still and i turn to the LEFT it makes that same noise constantly...sounds like the steering pump. Turning to the RIGHT makes no noise at all. This seems to indicate the PS pump but why would it make that same noise at highway speed?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone at all? I'm completely stumped. Nothing makes sense about this.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
How can I tell if its the hubs?

I was also thinking if it was the hubs, It should still act the same with the truck off when I apply the brakes. The fact that it doesn't do that makes me think its something powered, like a pump. In reverse (when i can get it to happen the most), if I accelerate AND apply the brakes (so I'm moving like 1/2 mph) at the same time, it'll make it constantly. With the engine noise I can't hear anything on the outside. It sounds like it's coming from the footwell area or behind the dash in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are some sound bites. It's the best I could do using my phone. Its the grinding that is on top of the normal engine sound. You may have to put on headphones and turn the volume way up... can anyone hear this stuff? This is the noise it makes during braking, reversing and high speeds and seems like its from the drivers side front.

Attachments

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey man did you ever get a chance to play those sound files? Not sure how much good they'll do but this is the most stumped I've ever been with a noise issue...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's no problem. I assume you're talking about my hubs. I have the auto hubs with a manual t-case and this is happening in 2wd. When I go out today (since its raining) I'll throw it in 4 when it's doing that to see if theres any difference.

I haven't been able to really establish ANY trends with this noise (and I'm not a fan of replacing parts til it works right) but it does seem to be something "powered" (aka by the engine). At full stop if I turn left it makes the noise but stops when the truck shuts off. I might just start tearing things apart this weekend and see what I can find...

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
My truck does this same thing to be honest!! My whole front end needs to be replaced hahaha... here's a bump for you

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Have you looked at the spring bushings? I know it's a common problem on the 250's with the TTB because the springs will twist with the suspension movement, but I see you have a 350. I had a nasty grinding/popping/crunching which turned out to be a spring bushing. Another issue could be the bushing(s) on the track bar. Appling brakes or reversing would torque the axle, applying pressure to a worn bushing. Metal-to metal contact would transmit vibration, throwing you off course in the search.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you looked at the spring bushings? I know it's a common problem on the 250's with the TTB because the springs will twist with the suspension movement, but I see you have a 350. I had a nasty grinding/popping/crunching which turned out to be a spring bushing. Another issue could be the bushing(s) on the track bar. Appling brakes or reversing would torque the axle, applying pressure to a worn bushing. Metal-to metal contact would transmit vibration, throwing you off course in the search.
I was thinking about all of that and I definitely haven't ruled that stuff out but the thing that seems to negate that for me is what I said about about how it seems to be tied to something "power". Who knows...maybe I'm dealing with two different, but identical noises. I'll see if I can tear apart the brakes this weekend and flush my steering and brake fluids as well as redo my swaybar bushings and check all my other bushings. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I was thinking about all of that and I definitely haven't ruled that stuff out but the thing that seems to negate that for me is what I said about about how it seems to be tied to something "power". Who knows...maybe I'm dealing with two different, but identical noises. I'll see if I can tear apart the brakes this weekend and flush my steering and brake fluids as well as redo my swaybar bushings and check all my other bushings. Thanks for all the input!
Hope you get it fixed!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yall wanna know the culprit? I was driving and heard a "clunk" and the pictures explain the rest...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wahhhhhh, If only i came across this thread earlier, i had this same problem when i first got my truck and my same with my friends jeep! Your lucky you have good alignment otherwise youd be in the woods!!!
Those gear boxes are expensive. Glad to See you found your problem, and freshened up some parts!
Are those SuperDuty Axles? Steering isnt off an OBS

1 - 20 of 25 Posts