Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my truck in to get aligned and they advised me that they could not align it because the ball bearings had too much play and would need to be redone. This with the alignment would be $1060.00.

So my question is can you direct me to some how too information, or is the price fair for parts and labor (Even though it may be I will most likely do it myself). So a how too, what parts, and tools are needed.

Thanks

2001 F-350 4x4 7.3.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
As far as OEM replacement parts, I would only go with a factory ford part or a higher end replacement part from the parts store. Dont go with a cheap chinese or ebay replacement or you will land yourself right back in the same boat in short order. This is definitely a fairly simple job to do, just takes a bit of time.

If you decide you want to upgrade away from the unitized hub that our trucks come with from the factory, we make a wheel bearing conversion kit ("free-spin" kit). Ours are the least expensive around but still spendy at $1650. If you want more info, just let me know or go to Wheel Bearing Conversion Kit - Precision Metal Fab

·
Premium Member
8,757 Posts
I've had eBay, Chinese, hubs in my truck for almost 2 years now. They came with a Lifetime Guarantee, were advertised as having Timken bearings in them, and cost $120 per side.

About a year ago, I got an ABS light that pointed to a bad sensor in that hub. They replaced it for free (in fact , they sent me the Whole Hub).

Don't get hosed, Chinese steel comes from our old crushed cars anyway ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I've had eBay, Chinese, hubs in my truck for almost 2 years now. They came with a Lifetime Guarantee, were advertised as having Timken bearings in them, and cost $120 per side.

About a year ago, I got an ABS light that pointed to a bad sensor in that hub. They replaced it for free (in fact , they sent me the Whole Hub).

Don't get hosed, Chinese steel comes from our old crushed cars anyway ;)
That's what I like to hear...ordered a set off ebay, they were damaged during shipping...called and sent me new ones within 2 days before I even sent the other ones back, which they paid for shipping on the way back too! :thumb:

Think about it this way...spend $240 for two hubs and sensors and you are still coming out cheaper than 1 hub from ford...

I have some good write-ups bookmarked at home for write ups, its simple once you do the first one...I can send them to you when I get home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts