Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001, F-350, 7.3, DRW, 4x4, 155,000 miles. My problem is the front axle, Dana 60? Everything is trashed except for the spindles and spider gears. I had brand new warn lock out hubs put on a month ago and they are already trashed. The mechanic estimated between $1,500 and $2,000. Could I just buy a whole new front axle, including hubs, for the same price and put it on myself? Looked at dynatrac's website and looks a little pricey. Can't find many other websites that carry the entire assembley. They are putting my front end back together and I'm picking it up tommorrow, hopefully it doesn't fall apart. Also I've been contimplating swaping out my 4.10's for 3.73's for better fuel economy and understand I would need to swap out the fronts also. What gears would match the 3.73's? Maybe now would be a good time for the conversion.How much difference in mileage could I expect? If this truck makes it another 200,000 miles and got 3mpg better that would be $10,000 at least. I forgot to say I tow regulary, usually 15,000 to 18,000 lbs. but am moving down to 8,000 to 12,000lb range. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think all the superdutys have Dana 50s some one correct me if I am wrong. I have to ask how did you destroy the hole axle I would love to know. It isn`t a prefect fit to go to a 60 I think they are wider but someone will chime in that knows more about this but to change out a axle is actually a simple job if you are not converting things As for the mileage I would think that the higher gears would help but not sure when towing. As for matching a 3:73 only a 3:73 will match
I hope that helps a bit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry Ian, maybe not the axle housing, just the rest of the parst are toast. Bearings, seals, hubs, spline on the shafts, etc. Got that way from rough roads, crossing creeks, and junk yards. Oh, and I meant matching the fronts to the 3.73's in the rear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I wasn`t sure about the 50 60 thing could you tell us how to tell the difference
check craig list and ebay.... i have seen complete axles with brakes for around 900 bucks...... and some SD's have 60's.... mine does :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
all 250 and 350 single wheel superduty's are 50's untill 2001 i think when everything 250 to dual wheel 350 were 60's. the duallys always were but i'm pretty shure the change over year was 01.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts