Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, ummm.. well this is my question im gonna go buy a 1996 ford f-350 4x4 reg cab long box 5-spd 7.3L turbo diesel, and its has the dana 50 twin i-beam front axle, now one of my friends he has a 1997 with everything else the same except the front he as the dana 60 straight axle, now im a 1st yr automotive apprentice and by the looks of it i should be able to swap out the front TTB for the straight axle, well i hope ive given enough information.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to have a half ton front end under my truck wen it was stock. Twin i beam with coils. Now it has around 15in of lift and 40in tires. The swap isnt to hard, i had to go with a cross over steering set up. Comes from the pitmit arm gose over to a arm that i built (but can be bought aftermarket)then a 3in block then the hub. Its bolted and welded to the hub. Then you just have your main link at the bottem that go from one side to another. If ya want i can try to get some pics

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i would be greatful if you could get some pics of it, especially of the suspension set up is what i would prefer more then the overall look. but yeah so can the swap be done in the drive way with just some axle stands and good old backyard or should it be done at a shop..?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Everything i have done to my truck ahs been done in my dad shop with jack stands a frame jack ad a cuple floor jacks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh really, yeah i might just do that then i just thought it was stock 96' front axle and was lost cause my buddy has a 97' with a D60 front end, alright well thanks for all the help you guys.

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
Yep, if it's a 350 it should have the 60.

·
Registered
642 Posts
anyone got pics of those fender flares on a blue F250? sorry for the hijack.

·
Premium Member
11,881 Posts
If that '96 has a twin beam D50 someone put it in, all F350 came with D60. I'd find another one, who knows what else they changed or screwed up:dunno:

Cary
Someone could have switched the badges just to have the F-350 on the truck. Call a dealership and give the parts guy your vin#, he can tell you if it is a 250 or 350. I can't imagine anyone going from a solid axle to twins. :doh: Seems kinda dumb :hehe::hehe::hehe:.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow you guys are have been so much help towards me so yeah i went to I.C.B.C in Canada means motor vehicle branch for vehicle liens or insurance and whatnot and i had the VIN checked out and it is a f350 but i guess some one before him had blown up the D60 and he had D50 TTB from a older truck so he just swapped it out apparently.. so yeah, but again i appreciate all the info and help from you guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts