Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Duper Duty
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm having trouble trying to find information on this. I need to replace these. I'm pretty sure they are axle seals. it makes a clunking noise when I drive. I can stick a bar underneath the u joint and move the axle up and down. What are these called and how big of a project are they?

·
Registered
601 Posts
those are dust seals. axle seals require removal of differential.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem with mine, I dont think the seals are your problem. Mine apears to be the U-Joint. Can you post a link to the write ups you are referring to?

·
Registered
495 Posts
The axle seals do go inside the diff and require a special tool to install. The vacuum seals that are in your hubs if you change the U joints takes a special seal driver too (you can make a home made one, or get them in without it) There is an O-ring and that dust seal that goes with those vacuum seals, and they're a bit pricy. Around $100 to do both sides i think. I don't remember what the axle seals run, But i've never done an axle seal without the ford tool.

·
Registered
495 Posts
And i also replace the spindle bearing when I do that job too. Make sure it didn't dry out and wear into your stub shafts when you tear it apart. AND your clunking noise is most likely a U-joint, But the seals need to be replaced when you tear it down.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the links. I bought all the seals minus the orings, $150. Ford is proud of those. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Super Duper Duty
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Ive built up the confidence. I'm gonna tackle it one of these weekends. Just need to either see if i can rent the seal tool or make one

1 - 10 of 10 Posts