Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notices this ring on the front axle
Driver side loose? Not sure what to do and how serious this is?

Sent from iPhone

·
Registered
88 Posts
I notices this ring on the front axle
Driver side loose? Not sure what to do and how serious this is?

Sent from iPhone
--------------

That is a dust seal that has separated, this happens on most 4WD super duty trucks. Ford has redesigned the replacement seal.

My dust seals, both sides of truck, have been separated and loose, like your picture, since 40K or so. Truck now has 143K.

There is an axle oil seal further inside the axle. So separation of the dust seal normally doesn't cause a problem.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah ok. Is it easy to replace? Or maybe use some silicone to
Hold back into place?

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
Mine has been like that for 60k miles or so. The dealership told me it wasn't worth fixing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ah ok. Is it easy to replace? Or maybe use some silicone to
Hold back into place?
Pain in the ars to replace. Axle shaft has to come out, hub and components, u joint, steering knuckle, ect.

Silicone wont work. If you look closely the inside part of the seal is still inside the axle housing. The flexible part of the seal breaks and separates between the inside and outside edge. The outside edge is what you see floating on the axle shaft.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I noticed the same thing on mine recently (42k miles). Service Advisor said they would upgrade the shaft to the newer seals under warranty if I wanted. The axles have to come out, etc... some work for sure but no cost to me. Thinking I will probably do it when I have time to leave the truck with the dealer for a few days.

Anybody have details on the new design? Guess I could crawl under a new truck on the lot and take a look...

current seal

·
Registered
88 Posts
I noticed the same thing on mine recently (42k miles). Service Advisor said they would upgrade the shaft to the newer seals under warranty if I wanted. The axles have to come out, etc... some work for sure but no cost to me. Thinking I will probably do it when I have time to leave the truck with the dealer for a few days.

Anybody have details on the new design? Guess I could crawl under a new truck on the lot and take a look...

current seal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd might go for it if it is really covered/free, and I trusted the dealer. However watch out for incidentals. You don't save anything if they tear it down and say oh! by the way you need new hubs and bearings.

I still havn't replaced my dust seals and I am a 154K now.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I posted the same a few month's back and was told that these dust seals are not really worth replacing due to the unknowns or promoting further problems after performing this extensive repair. If everything is under warranty then by all means get them replaced, but remember when the warranty is up and other front axle problems appear, think if you would have just left well enough alone.

Just my opinion...........

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
My dust seals went out at 35k miles. I left them alone and didnt worry about them until I did my ball joints at 125k. When you replace ball joints, its a perfect time to replace them since everything is apart.

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
Take a set of side-cutters and remove them. Once they fall out of the axle tube there is no reason to let them continue to flop around on the axle shaft. That's what I did about a year ago :thumb:

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Take a set of side-cutters and remove them. Once they fall out of the axle tube there is no reason to let them continue to flop around on the axle shaft. That's what I did about a year ago :thumb:
was going to do this today!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
all good points... thanks for the inputs. I do believe the Dealership's diesel techs are quite good but am inclined to just leave it alone for now.

How relevant is this seal anyways? I understand there is a 'real' seal further up the axle. This one seems too basic for a dust seal... does it just keep larger debris away from the main axle seal? Does the switch to tin just ensure it stays in place or is there an improvement in sealing?

·
Premium Member
2,028 Posts
all good points... thanks for the inputs. I do believe the Dealership's diesel techs are quite good but am inclined to just leave it alone for now.

How relevant is this seal anyways? I understand there is a 'real' seal further up the axle. This one seems too basic for a dust seal... does it just keep larger debris away from the main axle seal? Does the switch to tin just ensure it stays in place or is there an improvement in sealing?
The outer seal (the one in question) is just a "dust" seal to keep debris out of the axle tubes. The oil in the differential housing is contained by a second seal further back in the axle housing. The newer seals just hold better into the ends of the axle tubes. I figure if I ever do front hubs, ball joints, or axle u-joints then I'll replace the missing dust seals then.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a pic of the new updated seal on mine . Like mentioned , not really worth the hassle to replace but I went ahead and replaced mine since I snapped an axle joint and trashed the outer shaft.

·
Yeah it's a Turbo Diesel
4,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the pic! So- would be any help to fill the space with some silicone or something until the repair job is done? Or just leave it alone? I don't have a warranty so it's on me when I do fix it

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1,627 Posts
does this affect the 6.0?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the pic! So- would be any help to fill the space with some silicone or something until the repair job is done? Or just leave it alone? I don't have a warranty so it's on me when I do fix it
i wouldn't worry too much about it , just about every superduty you look at will have a split outer seal . But as far as replacing it , it's not too bad to do. Don't sweat it !!

·
Administrator
30,455 Posts
it's not that bad to do the knuckle and BJ's can stay

but the knuckle vac seal has to come out and they are 50 + bucks each if u can't get them out without damage and need a special driver to re install

1 - 20 of 23 Posts