Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 F250 7.3 Diesel 4WD manual locking hubs.
Front rotor cracked. I need the tool to remove the 2 locknuts. Having a hell of a time finding one. I'd like something that will take an impact wrench if possible. Here's what's on the axle label:
DANA P/N 610459 8
6 OCT 95
CUST PN FSTA-3002-ABB
CU 50
Serial #2951002206
Can anyone tell me the axle model from this?
Can anyone tell me where to get the tool I need?
Any tips also welcome.
Any help or info will be most appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
First of all don't use an impact on those nuts -- they aren't that tight and an impact may shear off the locking tab for the nuts

When setting the bearing preload, back the inner nut off 2 to 3 flats before tightening the lock nut in place -- otherwise the bearing will be too tight(side slack in the threads) -- the finished hub should roll with only a little drag and no wobble/slack side to side

Not sure of the size needed, but I use the "stamped tin" sockets available at most auto parts stores, or NAPA, Car Quest, Snap-on, Mac, Matco

Here is a site that explains a bit about your axle
https://therangerstation.com/tech_library/identify_a_dana_axle.shtml

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Not sure if this helps, but I use a NAPA 3246 on my 97 F250 with manual hubs. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
7,650 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I will try and remember to get dimensions when I get home tonight (it's in my truck's toolbox). Mine doesn't go "over" the nut (like the one Sparky referenced). The 4 tabs go into the nut slots. If you can find one that does go over the nut and engage the tabs, that would be better than the one I use. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,724 Posts
Sorry was thinking of a different axle

I made my tool by welding key stock pieces on the outside of a pipe coupler

The NAPA or Advance tool mentioned earlier should work for you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the 2 1/2" model from CarQuest and it worked fine. That measurement is the outside diameter of the nut.
Thanks everyone for your help. I got more valuable information from you all on the forum than from the Ford Dealer and a specialty tool company online (they never even bothered to respond to me).
Your help is most appreciated.
Cheers

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but I converted my front axle double nuts to a single ratchet type like the rear axle uses. So much easier to set preload and well I needed new nuts as I converted to manual hubs from autos. We have about 20 trailers in total and i like to use the transfer case in 4 low when maneuvering trailers around the yard and wanted manual hubs just for this reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts