Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have been on the forum for a few weeks reading and just getting up to speed on the 7.3L PS. I am mostly a rotary engine man (It is funny, Smaller motor 1.3L with a bigger turbo then my truck), but have always wanted a diesel truck to drive. Well i bought a 03 F250 crew cab FX4 Auto about 2 weeks ago and it is time to start with some upgrades. I want to have a little more power and MAINLY increase the fuel economy. Right now I have been thru two tanks of fuel with about 14.1 mpg average, would like to get 16 mpg at least.

When i got the truck, the only thing done to it was a 4in straight-thru exhaust and a K&N filter.

The second day i had the truck I did a pretty good once over, changed the oil/filter, cleaned and re-oiled the K&N Air filter, changed the Fuel Filter, and just checked and cleaned the engine bay.

The upgrades I would like to do is a Chip/or/Programmer witch ever is better and a display for Boost/Pyro and what ever else i need, I have a Trans temp in the stock gauges. I also want to be able to increase the firmness of the trans to try and increase the life of the auto trans, as i have read this is the weak point of are trucks

My truck has the O-S**T handles on the A-Piller and I would like to keep them there so gauges in the A-piller is out of the question.

I have the 4X4 mechanical engagement on the floor instead of electric so i have that small area on the dash to mount a digital display.

Basically what the truck will be doing is, driving to-and-from work and pulling a 3 car hauler from time to time.

I have sold some parts that I received for motor rebuilds that I have completed for people with low money flows. So i have about 800 bucks to play with for a Chip/Programmer and Display.

I just want to find out what is the best for my goals.

Ok boys Fire-Away

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
Take a look at getting a different filter in there ASAP. K&N has a bad habit of not sealing and allowing dirt to enter the engine. When this happens it called dusting the engine.

Stealth automotive, a sponsor on here, sells a digital display for one of the best prices I have seen.

Stealth Automotive. Stealth Monitor

For a chip you can go with either DP tuner or TW. I have run both and DP is what I kept and recommend. DP is a sponsor in here as well.

Dp Tuner

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do like that display, I have seen it while reading on the forum, so i will probably get that one.

On the Chip, is there a big difference on what a Chip can do over a programmer? I do like the idea of removing the little position changer so it reverts to the 1st program and having that program as a No-Start.

Also is there any Datalogger for hooking up the truck to a laptop. It would be nice to be able to save some logs.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
A chip, on the 7.3, has a lot more different parameters to play with. The trans tuning is night and day, much better with a chip. Jody, DP tuner, also has tunes available for the superchips programmer. With a programmer you can not change tunes on the fly. You have to do the download procedure to go between daily, economy and/or tow tunes. I think it is easier on the engine to start it in stock so I have the chip with stock and hi idle (1 and 2). When I say I think, the sound of the injectors when it is cold tells me stock is much easier on the truck, it is rather quiet in stock and rather loud in other tunes on my truck. Others have reported similar findings.

The first program on the chip referring to position 0, correct. I like that feature myself.

The data logging software out there that is most common is called Auto Enginuity. I have it and it is very nice to have. It also scans for codes and runs engine tests like the injector buzz test and cylinder contribution test. As well as other tests with key on or off. It is a great tool to have.

AutoEnginuity PC Scan Tool (USB)

Is your truck an auto or manual?

I see in your sig that your truck is 350hp, where did you get the power from?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The truck is a Auto, thats why I wanted the changes in the shift pattern.

On the 350, I was reading a while back that is was 250-350 and when i was making my sign I didn't look again, didn't remember if it was 250-350 so i put the higher one. But after reading your comments about the horse power I looked again online and I am not sure, I have found that the last model 99.5-03 made 275HP 525 Ft/lb. Witch is correct.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
2003 "High Output"
Automatic - 250 HP/525
Manual - 275 HP/520

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
those are crank hp as well so in my eyes doesnt count. put it on a dyno and post your real numbers. I need to dyno mine, kinda curious what im puttin out, judging by all my mods and what hp they say they are good for i should be close to 450 rwhp....lol....ummmm no

·
Registered
601 Posts
not to steal the thread but what is the stock wheel hp difference between early 99 and the later ones?
thanks

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea it would be nice to put it on a dyno, but I hardly get a chance to put my car on a dyno, let alone my truck.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
not to steal the thread but what is the stock wheel hp difference between early 99 and the later ones?
thanks
Around 20hp.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the Great Welcome!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts