Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody want a free oem 13 row tranny cooler. this is supposed to be from the 6.8 gasser trucks. i ordered a 6.0 cooler from a guy on ebay and he sent this to me..... i got it hashed out with him and the 6.0 cooler is on the truck now. he told me to keep it because he did not want to spend the money to get it reshipped back to him. i have no use for it. it would be an upgrade for those with the stock 9 row cooler. just pay shipping. otherwise i will throw it in the scrap pile.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Let me know what you think of the 6.0 cooler I have been looking to get one for a long time. Also did you buy one used off of ebay?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Let me know what you think of the 6.0 cooler I have been looking to get one for a long time. Also did you buy one used off of ebay?
The 6.0 cooler is HUGE.... I didn't realize how big it was until I saw it in person. It seems like 3-4 times the size of the stock cooler. I just picked one up off a salvaged truck for $45. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 6.0 cooler is HUGE.... I didn't realize how big it was until I saw it in person. It seems like 3-4 times the size of the stock cooler. I just picked one up off a salvaged truck for $45. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

I have a 26 row 6.0 L tranny cooler on my rig. It's near 100F and my tranny temps stay below 170F even when towing on mountain highways.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
stock is 9 row, the small 6.0 cooler is 26 row, the large 6.0 cooler is 31. so yes, even the 26 row that i picked up is way bigger. i would have liked the 31 row, :(, but that is another story. yes it was used, so i flushed it out with solvent and compressed air until it was clean.
i dont have gauges installed yet...... just waiting to get them installed. so i wont be able to give the before and after temps. everyone else pretty much has all ready done that.
i know the 6.0 cooler is the way to go, but for those strapped on cash, the 13 row cooler is a cheap upgrade. shipping shouldnt be that much, i just shipped a 7.3idi injection pump for $15.00 sent priority. just like the walker btm muffler.... i am going to put one of those on soon, until i can justify spending the $400.00+ on a new system.

·
Registered
853 Posts
6.0 cooler is definitely worth it if you do much heavy towing/hauling. my temps dropped 30-40 degrees

·
Registered
466 Posts
31 row is where it's at. Dropped the temps on my dad's truck 43 degrees.

I'd have one on mine, but I bought a 6 spd :p

·
Registered
522 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
How difficult is it to mount the 6.0 version? Any major modifications or will it use the same mounting points?

·
Registered
194 Posts
How difficult is it to mount the 6.0 version? Any major modifications or will it use the same mounting points?

pretty easy. just make certain you have all the hardware ready.
Rubber transmission hose, fittings, thread tape, clamps, etc. The mounting holes are the same as the little OEM cooler.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
anybody want a free oem 13 row tranny cooler. this is supposed to be from the 6.8 gasser trucks. i ordered a 6.0 cooler from a guy on ebay and he sent this to me..... i got it hashed out with him and the 6.0 cooler is on the truck now. he told me to keep it because he did not want to spend the money to get it reshipped back to him. i have no use for it. it would be an upgrade for those with the stock 9 row cooler. just pay shipping. otherwise i will throw it in the scrap pile.
did any one get this yet?

·
Registered
522 Posts
pretty easy. just make certain you have all the hardware ready.
Rubber transmission hose, fittings, thread tape, clamps, etc. The mounting holes are the same as the little OEM cooler.
I avoided using threaded fittings and thread tape by just finding 3/8" barb to 1/2" barbed fittings as a one piece item. I figured less places to leak. I purchased mine at the local Evco House of Hose. You can find the one piece fittings online as well. I used two of these fittings, 1/2" transimission hose, zip ties, and 6 hose clamps (4 to fit 1/2" hose and 2 for the 3/8" hose). It was actually pretty easy to install. It uses all the original mounting locations and hardware (although I added some larger washers to fit better on the bottom mounts).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nobody has claimed the cooler yet.
the only different hardware that i needed was longer bolts for the bottom two mounts. instead of a flat thin piece of metal that that for the stock cooler, the 6.0 bottom mounts are thick rubber cushions, i couldnt get the old bolts to start. so i got longer ones.
i just did a filter and fluid flush to top things off today, i dont think the guy i got it from ever touched it...... :doh: it was bad. amazingly, it is still the original tranny.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts