Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part 1 - the backstory.
I was a purist. I thought a truck was best if it looked close to showroom perfect (OEM parts, upgrades must be hidden, etc.). Life has a way of knocking purists in the teeth every so often. In late 2016, I bought my 2006 Crew cab King Ranch Dually from my father-in-law (RIP) when he couldn't drive it and tow his RV anymore. I kept the truck and RV at his place for two years, in case he wanted to borrow it, seldom using it except for the odd errand to pick up something from the garden center. Fords hate sitting around, waiting to be used, so it threw me a curveball by rotting out the EGR at a measly 57,000 miles, in the downtown Dallas mixmaster, while I was towing my 34', 16,000 lb, 5th wheel RV down to my new hunting lease. The purist in me wanted to go to the Ford dealer, but my buddy, a fantastic diesel mechanic, guided me on my first modification journey - I got it bulletproofed. I felt pretty good, because from the outside nobody knew I had a high performance rig. But the fire was lit, I joined the ORG and started reading everything I could about improving the 6.0. Atlas 40 FICM tune - check. Ridiculous (but sweet sounding) 5" turbo back exhaust with chrome RBP tip - check. PHP tunes - check. S&B CAI - check. Riff Raff billet jewelry for the engine - of course! The purist is gone, and if there are any purists still reading this, prepare to be disappointed.

Seven weeks ago, my 6.0 was stolen from my driveway while I slept. Lesson learned #1 - WIFI can easily be jammed with a cheap device off Amazon, disabling my wireless camera motion alarm security system (rhymes with Ding), and countless other WIFI cameras in the neighborhood as the thieves drove my 6.0 away. My truck was found abandoned in an apartment parking lot and returned to me about 10ish days ago. Police said it was used to steal something big, I thought they were talking about ATM thefts. Turns out they probably stole some heavy construction equipment, smashing up my bed, scratching the paint to Hades, and blowing out my turbo. To add insult to injury, they stole a BPD oil hose ($200), my Volbeat CD, assorted tie downs, my new Viair compressor, my tuner, my TPMS monitor, and 6 relays. Insurance wanted to total it, and I couldn't know if it was salvageable unless I put some money in just to see if it would start and run smooth again.

Thanks to @powerlifter405 I got a fair deal on a used turbo and the wife and I decided to make the truck a project, rather than totaling it out. The insurance settlement is going smoothly and we should have a better truck than before when it’s all done.

Today I drove 225 miles round trip to pick up a new bed for the truck. Glick Automotive in Buffalo, TX are good people that have lots of truck beds for fair prices.
Rolled up on 69,000 miles today (Giggity!!!).
Lesson learned #2 - Four ratchet straps and four 2x2s is all you need to haul a truck bed inverted on top of the old bed. I’m going to post a photo tomorrow.

I will add photos tomorrow and the Franken-beauty project has officially begun.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Went by the body shop yesterday (undergroundcustomsofdallas.com). Getting it repainted black with a tan underside. The original copper/gray combination was nice, but I was never in love with it. It goes to the shop next Tuesday when they have room for it.

So here's the upgrade / replacement list:
SCT Livewire TS+ tuner (replacement)
TST TPMS monitor (replacement)
RBP Stealth running boards (upgrade)
maybe 2008 mirrors (upgrade?)
Ranchhand front bumper (upgrade)
Rough Country rear bumper (upgrade)
new HD edition grille (upgrade)
BAK Revolver X4S bed cover (upgrade)
new badges (replacement)
new roof side trim pieces (replacement)
5th wheel tailgate (replacement)
new truck bed (replacement)
Headache rack (maybe)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Do you already have an SCT device currently? If so have you updated it? If not DO NOT update that device.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Glad the turbo found a good home but it sux that you had to deal w/ all that. Good luck on putting it all back together(y)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Glad you got the truck back, I hate that people do this crap. I went ahead and put the cyclops anti theft thingy on my truck after a neighbors 04 v10 was stolen a few doors down from me. I know it’s not as good as ravleco but for the money and piece of mind it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: El_Rey_Dallas

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you got the truck back, I hate that people do this crap. I went ahead and put the cyclops anti theft thingy on my truck after a neighbors 04 v10 was stolen a few doors down from me. I know it’s not as good as ravleco but for the money and piece of mind it works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After reading up on the Ravelco, I'm going to use the money I set aside for a LoJack and get a Ravelco. With the Jimmi' Jammers and a few other tricks, I am going to make the truck very hard to steal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts