Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me in detail how to do the fpr shim mod.

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks strokin94

·
Registered
466 Posts
no problem.....thats what were all here for

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the mod make much of a difference? are there any risks? If no risks, it cant hurt performance to try it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just did the mod 5 mins. after reading this post and am happy with the slight gain that I got. I don't have a chip yet so these cheap mods sure do help. I also realized that my fuel pressure sending unit for my guages are in the wrong location so I will fix that this weekend.

·
Banned
722 Posts
if i do this mod do i need to put a gauge in or will i be fine with out one?

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
if i do this mod do i need to put a gauge in or will i be fine with out one?
You don't have to use a permanent gauge. You can just use a mechanic's gauge at the schrader valve to check the pressure after the shim. You need to make sure the pressure isn't over 70 psi so it doesn't damage the pump.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm gonna do this mod later in the week. I read the instructions and i have a few questions. One, when I release pressure from the schrader valve will diesel spray out? Two, after I shim the fpr and install the gauge do i have to repressurize the system with something or when i start the truck will it do it by it's self?

·
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER
5,877 Posts
I'm gonna do this mod later in the week. I read the instructions and i have a few questions. One, when I release pressure from the schrader valve will diesel spray out? Two, after I shim the fpr and install the gauge do i have to repressurize the system with something or when i start the truck will it do it by it's self?
I have never had fuel spray out, but to be on the safe side, I put a rag over it when pressed. You don't have to do anything other crank it and check the pressure after the install.

·
Banned
722 Posts
thanks for the info

·
Registered
613 Posts
So this question isn't for an OBS but for a superduty I would think similar answer. Earlier it was said that pressure over 70psi would hurt the pump. I'm guessing fuel pump? If this is true it would make sense that a few days after I shimmed mine (didn't check pressure) that my fuel pump went out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
thanx for the answers. one more question, will this affect my fuel economy at all?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have a glowshift 100psi guage and it reads 70 psi at idle, 50psi during hard acceleration, and 80 psi while cruising down the highway.

I don't know about fuel econmy but I wouldn't think it would hurt to much if at all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just did mine its around 60 to 70 at idle and spikes at 90

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
I have a glowshift 100psi guage and it reads 70 psi at idle, 50psi during hard acceleration, and 80 psi while cruising down the highway.

I don't know about fuel econmy but I wouldn't think it would hurt to much if at all.
same crappy @$$ gauge and it reads 100 at idle and bout 95 under a real hard acceeration
good or bad or just a $hitty gauge oh yea been in there for about four months

1 - 16 of 16 Posts