Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
had oil cooler replaced with hpop 5000 mi ago, oil temps have been coming up again. i am in the middle of arp studs so i pulled cooler and found large pieces of plastic in the oil well. is there anything in the engine that can spit off plastic like that? the dealer machanic broke a ton of stuff and i wouldn't doubt at all that he didn't even clean out oil well. long story!!! i am wondering if anything could cause this before i drive 150 miles to the dealer i broke down close to and robbed me blind. to of course have a polite conversaition!!

Premium Member
Any pics? Black plastic or brown in color? Is it just a couple small pieces or a whole bunch?

Black plastic could be the anti oil drain back valve under the oil filter, could also been from a aftermarket oil filter/cap. Brown plastic could be from the rocker arm keepers.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
whole bunch, couple table spoons. bigest piece 3/4 inch smallest 1/4 inch. oil return tube looks good. was either dropped in there or came from motor someware. this tech did a lot of damage and i wouldn't even think twice he dropped stuff in there and didn't care. filter srceen to hpop totally clogged after 500 mi. ????

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
black plastic, and oops 5000mi

Premium Member
What brand oil filter are you using? If you bought the truck used, do you know what brand oil filter the prior owner was using?

Some aftermarket oil filters use a "spacer/adapter" that can break apart.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
one oil change sense oil cooler was replaced, i did it myself with a Nappa oil filter. No aftermarket parts in oil system. But i am installing a bullet proof diesel oil cooler system with this project.

Registered
one oil change sense oil cooler was replaced, i did it myself with a Nappa oil filter. No aftermarket parts in oil system. But i am installing a bullet proof diesel oil cooler system with this project.
You shouldn't be using a Napa filter, it's not a Racor and doesn't fit as good as a Racor, Motorcraft and International filters are Racor filters.

Check your Napa filter very close to see if anything may have broken off of it.

Premium Member
Yep, check out this video about some aftermarket oil/fuel filters.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9
i am bypassing the junk Ford oil cooler and filter, got a transfer block and installing an air to oil cooler in the nose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts