Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just wanted to share a story with you folks. I have been tossing around the idea of swapping the exhaust on my '04 PSD CC SB ever since I bought it but I was afraid to because I did not want any annoying drone while towing or cruising. I had sat in many different rigs with all kinds of set ups but was not 100% happy with any of them. Finally Friday the bug bit me and I cooked up a plan to delete the factory muffler and if I didn't like it I could always weld it back in.

So here is what I did. I had 3" or 4" pipe o chose from and I figured I did not want more restrictions than what it already has I chose the 4". I cut the muffler out as close to the ends of the muffler I could with a sawz-all then slash cutting the new 4" pipe so that it would overlap the old pipe at an angle. I rolled the edges as close as I could to the old pipe and welded it all up. I will go take a pic with my phone later today and figure how to post it. Its not much to look at, just a straight pipe. I left what I assume to be the Catalytic converter and a resonator on there.

Here is the best part. The sound! On start up you can here a very slight increase in low rumble but most people don't notice. Cruising and towing a 35' double pop out trailer there is absolutely no drone! the only time you know there is a difference is when you get more than half way into the "go" pedal and it has this beautiful growl with just a hint of turbo whine. I thought I would have more of the "hair dryer" sound but no, not really. Very slight increase there. I am extremely satisfied and impressed with what I was able to do with a few dollars worth of material.

Now I know I am going to have people who say that its not a true performance exhaust and my EGT could be lower if I swap out for 4" turbo back or delete everything, but you know what? I don't care! I wanted a bit more aggressive sound and I found it. My truck has been tuned so it already has more than enough power for a truck and my EGT's have never been a concern yet, even while towing. the only time the temp was of concern was pulling a large boat in the hills of Montana. I simply pulled over and swapped my performance tune for a tow tune and never had another issue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok here are some pics.

The truck

Stock forward of the muffler

the delete pipe

Where it meets up with the factory tail pipe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again not the prettiest thing to look at but I love the sound and who really looks under my truck?

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
Good job man. She's a screamer now I bet. I did the same thing back when I had my 04 and man the mpg jumped through the roof. Wish my 07 got half of what used to get :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
Why didn't you just use a turn down under the truck? Would that be too loud?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good job man. She's a screamer now I bet. I did the same thing back when I had my 04 and man the mpg jumped through the roof. Wish my 07 got half of what used to get :(
As for MPG I do not know yet..... Did this on Friday and haven't filled up yet so I will have to track that. As for the power well it seems to have nearly eliminated any turbo lag that was once there. The factory VGT was very good at spooling up quick once the truck was re-flashed and when compared to other Diesels I have driven in the past it would spool nicely, but now with the muffler gone it is in boost off idle! It builds boost quicker for sure too. As if the rear tires didn't hate me enough already the new found response is addictive! hehehe

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Like ODAWG said.... It causes a bit of drone under load. I was able to ride in a truck that simply dumped it before the muffler and it was louder and caused a drone at cruise. Not a horrible one but still I prefer this way over it. Also dumping it that close to the back of the cab would fumigate the cabin with exhaust gases when all 4 windows are down and while I rarely have the windows down I would prefer to have the exhaust as far away as I can.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I've never been in a powerstroke that has had a bad drone, cummins drone so badly that you ears get like plugged up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never been in a powerstroke that has had a bad drone, cummins drone so badly that you ears get like plugged up.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
I will agree the 6.0 is not as bad as some of the other makes out there but they can be annoying when you are on a road trip from Modesto California to Great Falls Montana. I drove a buddys to sand mountain Nevada from Modesto one year that had 4" open and if it were not for the radio I would have went bat sh!t crazy.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Like ODAWG said.... It causes a bit of drone under load. I was able to ride in a truck that simply dumped it before the muffler and it was louder and caused a drone at cruise. Not a horrible one but still I prefer this way over it. Also dumping it that close to the back of the cab would fumigate the cabin with exhaust gases when all 4 windows are down and while I rarely have the windows down I would prefer to have the exhaust as far away as I can.
Good to know. I just bought a turn down tip and I was going to try putting it under the truck right after my cat delete pipe and remove the flow-thru muffler (MBRP set-up). Or stick in on right after the muffler.
But I want to get rid of the soot all over my rear quarter panel.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have never really had much of a soot problem. Mine doesn't smoke much with the tune I am running. Just a bit more than a puff when I stand on it. Maybe some others that have dumped their exhaust can chime in but the one I drove wasn't a bad sound just a bit more than I cared for while driving for super long distances and the smell when at a light with all four down was a bit much. And I love the smell of Diesel but if I were stuck in a traffic jam I would have been gassed out of there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts