Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
If you're looking for a good adjustable 2.5" hitch, have you considered a B&W or Weigh-safe? They seem to be the most popular hitches on the forum, so you may have better luck finding a used one on here.

FWIW, I've got a 2.5" Weigh-safe that has worked out well for me.

·
Registered
2000 Ford F250 4x4 7.3
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're looking for a good adjustable 2.5" hitch, have you considered a B&W or Weigh-safe? They seem to be the most popular hitches on the forum, so you may have better luck finding a used one on here.

FWIW, I've got a 2.5" Weigh-safe that has worked out well for me.
i have. however they do not go low enough.

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
get bulletproof new like this, free shipping: BULLETPROOF HITCHES 2.5IN EXTREME DUTY CLASS V 12IN DROP/RISE Hitch BLPED2512

I honestly cant stand geny or b&W anymore. they started bending for me and I don't even max them. Neither geny or many b&w drop hitches don't have the angled brace on the forward portion like bulletproof and the trailer flexes the horizontal slide portion forward and back and I theew away my fancy b&w and got this from uhaul and it has not show even the slightest sign of twisting or bending.

I got this exact one 2” Adjustable Channel Mount (14,000 lbs.) after a bunch of anderson, and b&ws started bending.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
get bulletproof new like this, free shipping: BULLETPROOF HITCHES 2.5IN EXTREME DUTY CLASS V 12IN DROP/RISE Hitch BLPED2512

I honestly cant stand geny or b&W anymore. they started bending for me and I don't even max them. Neither geny or many b&w drop hitches don't have the angled brace on the forward portion like bulletproof and the trailer flexes the horizontal slide portion forward and back and I theew away my fancy b&w and got this from uhaul and it has not show even the slightest sign of twisting or bending.

I got this exact one 2” Adjustable Channel Mount (14,000 lbs.) after a bunch of anderson, and b&ws started bending.
When I was shopping hitches, I was definitely concerned by how "light" the B&W design seemed to be, but this is the first I've heard of one bending. I went with the Weigh-safe for a number of reasons, but one was that it's a beefier design, with a larger sectional-area where the lateral loads from the trailer are transmitted to the horizontal shaft of the hitch. So far mine hasn't bent, but I've only towed up to about 11k with it.

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Another factor to consider is if you'll be towing in areas with lots of salt on the roads, or towing boats on the coast (dunking it in salt water). I do the latter, so went with an cerakoted aluminum hitch, to mitigate any potential for corrosion.

·
Registered
2000 Ford F250 4x4 7.3
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do appreciate the fact that the bulletproof stabilizers do not take up a slot in the hitch itself like the gen y hitch does

·
Administrator
34,069 Posts
they are semi custom parts so you pick where to mount the upper ends

Installation:

In some cases fabrication is required to mount the frame brackets to the hitch receiver or the frame.

This depends on the design of your factory hitch receiver and the location of the spare wheel.

Some drilling is required! One 5/8" hole in the hitch gusset and four 1/2" holes in the frame are required!

This kit does not include any drill bits.

The Frame Mounted Hitch Stabilizer Bars will fit all existing BulletProof Hitches with 8" of drop or more.

·
Registered
2000 Ford F250 4x4 7.3
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they are semi custom parts so you pick where to mount the upper ends
what do the braces connect too?
Currently, to the furthest rear point on the receiver hitch. Just below the frame at the very back. mounted to the inner walls of the hitch. I think ideally they would be on the frame, however, with a 12 inch drop hitch and following the directions of drilling the mounting hole 1 inch from the bottom, the stabilizers will not reach back to a good spot on the frame. I may end up putting another hole higher up on the drop hitch to allow the bars to reach further back. as it sits, they are still doing their job and ensuring that the hitch is not the weak point.

·
Administrator
34,069 Posts
random input here ;-)
I just bought the gen y stabilizer brackets only ( frame and drop end mounts )
for 79 bucks shipped seemed fair vs building my own . tractor supply will get another 80.00 for two top links
the Gen Y brace kit is more reasonably priced than the Bulletproof hitch unit ( 280 vs 380 for basically the same parts and if anything the Gen Y is more complex ) but I think they are both way overpriced and I wanted the ideal length top link for my install

1 - 20 of 21 Posts