Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Found an easy to remove the dually hub cap

16K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Dr. Matt 
#1 ·
Needed to go through my brakes today because they were feeling spongy and when I got to the rear I couldn’t get the caps off.I know there has been plenty of discussions about this on this forum,so I figured I would share the super easy method I found.

I used a 2x4 that was over a foot long and laid the 2x4 on the top edge of the hubcap and pushed upwards against the rim and it immediately popped off.A piece of cardboard,towel,or something soft needs to be put down because it pops off completely.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting. I struggle with removing these even with my homemade gadget. I guess I should be happy that they're on tight....no worries about them coming off down the road right?!?!?

#9 ·
I tried this technique and it didn't work for me. Was afraid I was going to bust the cap. :frown2: So then I tried another option using a ratchet strap and a board across the tire and that didn't work either. :frown2::frown2:

Need to find an easier way. Like a slide hammer with a hooked end or something. Crazy they are on so freakin' tight.

#12 ·
I use a cheap ($10) slide hammer that I keep in the bed tool box so I'll never need to change a flat and not have it with me. Pops them right off and I keep my leg close to the wheel to stop the hub cap from shooting across the ground. But after today that will only be in winter for my snow tires on the stock wheels as my New Monster Mayhem's are getting mounted up today. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.