Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nice 03 f250 with the 7.3 I like. Its really clean, no leaks, 154k miles.

I have two quick questions. The radiator fluid isnt green like some trucks I have looked at, its closer to brownish looking. Is this normal?

The discharge tubes around the turbo have a lot of dried up oil on them. I read on this forum its normal to have some, but how much is too much?

W

·
0 Posts
only way to tell if coolant is any good is to test it (forget the name of the test)

there is no set idea about how much oil is too much at the boots, if its driping out then thats excessive, check the blow by of the motor and check to make sure the turbo isnt spitting oil out

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
id have a coolant flush done either way and install a coolant filter. Theres a write up somewhere on here on how to build one yourself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will a coolant test tell me anything other than whether the coolant needs changing? I was going to change it anyway after buying it, I just wanted to make sure the weird color wasnt a sign of something bad.

Thanks for the all help, Im new to diesels but pretty good with everything else.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
The coolant is fine but probably needs to be changed. Ford used that crappy Gold coolant in 2003, and they placed these brown tablets in the degas bottle , as these disolve it makes the coolant look brown. If you get the truck, flush and replace with a true ELC coolant like Fleetrite. The opil and gunk on the intake boots is totally normal, again if you buy the truck do the CCV mod, every PSD should do this mod it will eliminate all the oil in the intake. Here is a link for the ccv mod.

Stealth Automotive Inc - Exception

NCH

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
depends you can get slotted and drilled rotors pretty cheap on ebay, my buddy just got them all the way around on his truck and theyre nice

·
Registered
273 Posts
yessir just ordered 4 slotted and drilled rotors for $220 i believe and free shipping. thats a score i think

·
Premium Member
20,358 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
i believe these are cryogenically treated. My stock rotors have warped. as regular aftermarket on my mom's excursion. we put drilled and slotted on her ex. and it has one great stopping our 30 foot airstream, and let me tell you that thing is heavy lol

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
I'd be really surprised if you got cryo'd slotted rotors for that price. You'll find them to be more like $130-140 each! If I'm wrong, send me the link to where you got them. I'll buy a set to put on the shelf tomorrow! :nod:

From my research, it looks like the best combo for our trucks is cryo'd slotted powerslots (no drilled holes) and Hawks LTS pads (not the HD ones). I just put them on the front of my truck and they are REAL nice! :woot:

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only other issue with the truck is none of the power windows roll down. The dealership said they replaced the relay and they worked ok for a couple days but are broken again. Any ideas what else it could be?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts