Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a rebuild on a forged block today. I got it tore down and am getting ready to take the block to get bored.

Does anyone recommed any company for the engine kit? I was thinking *** or Hypermax.

Do I need to consider a girdle for 500 HP? Am I ok with the forged rods at this level? I have the turbo but need the fuel. Is anyone out there running a P pump on the stroke? If so can I use a cam gear off another motor to drive it? I will need some help to figure this out, come on!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well if I were gonna build one from scratch I would for sure put a girdle in it and billet rods. I hear people say forged are good up to 500, but why not just build it once so you never have to do it again. I don't think anyone is running a p pump except for the pull truck Double Overtime. I have also heard he has well over 100k in that motor. I would recommend BWD for motor stuff, but I have never done what you are doing, just dreamed about it...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I would love to put in Cunninghams but I would rather blow up another motor than pay 3K for them. I have been finding the motors very cheap if you look hard enough. Most of them will have something stupid and simple wrong that no one caught. I have heard so many people say they have broken the forged rods, the only ones I have seen broke are from roll overs that people start with oil on top:doh: or flooded trucks that were started:hehe: I am kind of a ghetto junk yard builder on a budget. I would rather beat a fummins with a $2K motor than a $100K. I will find a cheap way to get big fuel in.....eventually.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well man in that case good luck, sounds like you have a handle on it. I think built 7.3s are awesome, but I don't feel like having to take that motor out of the truck more than once. When you are done make a post about it, I wanna see that thing SMOKE!

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
If you're getting the motor rebuilt, and aiming for 500 on fuel you might as well go ahead and look at my build thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts